Access Forum

The Access Forum is, in it's physical form, a quarterly meeting for arts organisations, individuals, audience members, freelancers, creators, makers and everyone in between to get together and talk about access.

On this group, we'll be sharing what we discuss at those meetings, the ideas we have, and any thoughts you might have on access.

We're aiming to make everything we do more accessible to more people, and to share everything we do to help each other.

• Sara Beer

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting. Looking forward to reading the minutes

• Rhian Richards

No worries Sara! Maggie did an amazing job in your absence. I'll be writing the minutes up tomorrow, so will be sharing really soon!
    x

• Rhian Richards

Hi all,

I've added the minutes from the last meeting, both in full and in a doc. There are a couple of actions and ideas that came out of the meeting, and the minutes reflect the thoughts and ideas the people in the room came up with.

If you have anything to add, or any additions, please do send them to me on here or to my email rhianlewis@nationaltheatrewales.org

I'll be working on getting some draft templates and welcoming ideas for future meetings soon, so please check back

Thanks

Rhian

• Rhian Richards

Just above this box you'll the DISCUSSION FORUM, click on ACCESS FORUM: MEETING MINUTES AND IDEAS, and they're in that thread

• Sherman Theatre

Hi Rhian.  Do we know when the next one is going to be?  We have Jem and Ella coming up soon at the Sherman (8 & 9 April) and they have created Access: app for Deaf People / hard of hearing people and blind people / visually impaired people.  This might be an interesting event to discuss access needs around? 

• Rhian Richards

Hi Sherman,

I'm pretty sure won't be in April - We agreed quarterly meetings were best so that's a bit early for us all.

However, if the app is being used then, we could talk about it in the next meeting? Technology and resources is one of the key themes, and there are a couple of people who could bring ideas/resources to the table, including Jacob at NTW and the team at UCAN.

Rhi
    x

• Sherman Theatre

It is certainly something we can feedback on in terms of success/failure outcomes. Thanks Rhian

• Marina Newth

Congratulations to NTW and Sherman for yesterday's Dementia Friendly performance, it was a lovely afternoon.

In that vein I am now a trained Dementia Champion so if any venues want to run Dementia Friendly sessions for their staff, I ma very happy to run sessions for them.
  • Rhian Richards

Hi all

We're now confirmed for the next Access Forum!

Hope you can all join us on Thursday 7 July, 6-8pm at Sherman Theatre, Cardiff

More info here

Any questions, give me a shout
    x

• Megan Merrett

Hi. Hynt has invited cardholders to an event tomorrow. If any of you can make it too, it would be great to see you there:
    Thursday 30 June 2016

1:45pm – 2:15pm Elevator, Jessie Brett Dance Company (part of http://www.hijinx.org.uk/unity/),at the Glanfa (foyer space), Wales Millennium Centre

2:15pm – 4:00pm Tea, coffee, cake and chat about hynt at the Urdd, Wales Millennium Centre

What do you think of hynt? What shows have you seen with the card? Do you use the listings on our website? What could we do better?

Hynt is the national access scheme for theatres and arts centres in Wales. We work to give a consistent offer for visitors and their carers, companions or Personal Assistants.

Elevator is a 30-minute dance from Jessie Brett Dance Company, performed by an international cast of disabled and non-disabled dancers.

Please RSVP to: megan@creucymru.com so that we can make sure we have enough cake! Elevator is free, you won’t need a ticket. If you can’t make the show but would like to pop along for a chat you’re more than welcome.
  • AVANT

• AVANT

Hi All, Avant are experimenting with using swipe.to at their performance of Love Labours Won at the Redhouse, Merthyr. Detail below. The show is in Shakespearean text, so we feel that this will really be a great testing ground to see if this technology works.

If you can make it we would really appreciate your feedback.

• National Theatre Wales

Hi everyone,

Minutes from the last Access Forum meeting are now posted in the discussion above

Thanks

Rhian

x

• Rhian Richards

Hi Everyone,

As you know from the last Forum meet up, City of the Unexpected is very much on our doorsteps!

Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 September will see the city taken over by Roald Dahl's imagination, and we have loads of access provision going on across the two days that we'd love to get the word out about - hopefully with your help!

If you can share this on any of your channels, or to your followers, that would be brilliant.

On Saturday, there will be Audio Description, Captioning, viewing areas and platforms while on Sunday there will be mainly audio description as it is a highly visual day.

All the info can be found on the website, along with booking details - you just need to call 029 2064 6363 or email ticket.office@wmc.org.uk. We're recommending booking as we're expecting large crowds, but there is provision to accomodate people on the day.

Link to the COTU website: http://cityoftheunexpected.wales/accessibility

Please give me a shout if you have any questions - it's going to be a great weekend in Cardiff!

x

• National Theatre Wales

Hi Access Forum crew!

Wales' Mental Health Festival is coming up, and I wanted to let you all know what's going on across the event.

Weston Studio Events

Glanfa Stage Events

There's also a call out for volunteers to support the events. More info here

Thanks!

Rhian

• Rhian Richards

Hi everyone,

Please pop 7th of December in your diaries (heavily penicilled!) as the next date for the Access Forum. We really want to get one in before Christmas, so fingers crossed lots of you can come. I'll be back in touch with location and times asap!

Thanks

Rhian

• Rhian Richards

Another note from me!
    Support Captioning Awareness week this week! 

Find out how you can get involved in #CAPaware16... http://www.stagetext.org/reviews/captioning-awareness-week
  • Megan Merrett

Hello

Would be great to see you at the Walls:Muriau symposium on 24th November at Wales Millennium Centre.

Brought to you by hynt in partnership with Disability Arts Cymru we'll be focusing on:

How we can reduce stigma and challenge perceptions around mental health

• Audience Development: what we can do to increase access to and involvement in the arts for those experiencing and living with mental ill health
    • Artists: what we can do to support emerging and established artists living with mental illness

Presenting in the morning:

Professor Mike Kerr, a clinical psychiatrist researching the overlaps between learning disability, psychiatric disorders and epilepsy. “Breaking down the barriers: Improving mental health in people with a learning disability.” (focus on reducing stigma and outlining what Mental Health means)

Catriona James, independent dance artist (focusing on working practices, the artist’s perspective and making and promoting work about Mental Health)  

Karin Diamond, Re-Live (focusing on audience development, professional training and marketing “issue based” work from a touring theatre company perspective)

Mark Smith, Making Minds - mental health and the arts

Panel discussion:

Viv Gordon, Mean Feet Dance

Strinda Davies, Arts Development UK

Rhys Bevan-Jones, http://rhysbevanjones.com/page2.htm

Book spaces here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/symposiwm-wallsmuriau-symposium-ticket...  

• Rhian Richards

Next Access Forum confirmed!

Access Forum: Audience
    Wednesday 7th December, 6-8pm
    Wales Millennium Centre, Plant Room (Please sign in at Stage Door)

Let us know you're coming here

We'll be focusing on the audience, and how we communicate with them, reach them, market our shows to them. We'll then open up the discussion to cover any topics which may be of interest to you.

x

• Megan Merrett

Looking forward to seeing y'all on the 7th at my first Access Forum (*hangs head in shame*).

*BADGER ALERT*

I've added the Walls:Muriau Symposium as an event on here. Would be great to see lots of you there as a precursor to this discussion on audience.

Thursday 24th November, 10am-4pm

Wales Millennium Centre, Weston Studio

The focus is on Mental Health, audience development and working practices for artists, audiences and arts professionals with mental ill health. Should be a great day of lively discussion. Details of speakers and panel on the event page.

Please, pretty please book on ASAP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/symposiwm-wallsmuriau-symposium-ticket...

We've tried to keep it as cheap as possible and the cost includes your lunch.

Any questions or comments just throw them my way on here, on twitter @megomerrett or @we_are_hynt or email megan@creucymru.com

• Rhian Richards

*Date for your diary*

The next access forum will be on Thursday February 2nd, with guest speaker Jo Verrent!

Venue and time not confirmed yet, but it will be an early evening as ever.

More information to follow!

• Rhian Richards

Next Access Forum confirmed!

With Jo Verrent
    Thursday 2nd February, 6-8pm
    Japan Room, Wales Millennium Centre
    There will be a palantypist providing live, remote captioning

Please click you're attending, and share! Event here

• jo munton-vagabondi puppets

I'd be really interested in meeting up and really tackling these issues. But I'm based in the middle of wales with no driving licence because of my disability. Any meeting that are more accessible than cardiff ( unfortunately one of the hardest place to get to on public transport from mid wales ) x
  • Rhian Richards

Hi Jo

Thanks for getting in touch.

It is definitely the ambition to have these meetings happening all over Wales, and the next one will hopefully be in Venue Cymru, North Wales in March. Since we depend on people giving us space for free, and finding people to help us run them, we're kind of in the position where we need to do some work to find those people and get them off the ground. There isn't any funding for the meetings either, but we're ambitious to make it a national thing.

If you'd like to chat about it further and help me out in finding somewhere nearer you where we could do a forum, please drop me an email on rhianlewis@nationaltheatrewales.org and we can chat!

Thanks
    Rhian

• Rhian Richards

Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get an access forum booked in soon, so please send me any ideas or topics you'd like to discuss!

Thanks

Rhi

• Rhian Richards

Another one from me - the notes from Jo Verrent's access forum can now be found in the discussion box above, or click here: 

Access Forum: Meeting Minutes and Ideas

• National Theatre Wales

Hi all,

Our next Access Forum is confirmed!

Find out more and let us know if you're coming, here

See you soon!

Rhian