Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Load Previous Comments
  • Kelly Jones

I suppose for me the difference is a Mentor is  to support the writer and help progress them, whereas A Dramaturg's role is to help progress the work and support the script/story. 

There was this news clip recently about the role of a Dramaturg, on BBC - I'll try and find the link :) 

• Shane Anderson

Like Kelly, I would think a writing mentor focuses on process and a dramaturg on product but I can't see how either discipline could ever be totally discrete.

• Catherine Dyson

Hello everyone, if you have a spare moment, please sign the online petition to protest the threatened closure of South Street Arts Centre in Reading. It's a brilliant venue with an inspiring programme. Its closure would be a huge loss.

• Rowan Talbot

SCRATCH PLATFORM 6 

We are still have slots available for SP6 this Sunday - 7.30 - Four Bars.

If you have some work to share and you would like a 10 minute slot email rowan@fizzievents.com.

Here are some details...

Do You Want To Perform at our Birthday Scratch Platform?

10 min slots now up for grabs - Performance Art, Live Art, Comedy, Cabaret, Experimental Music, Spoken Word...

Try something new or breath life into older work. We always have a fantastic, supportive and generous audience. Get feed back AND IT'S FREE!!

If you don't want to perform come along and enjoy an utterly brilliant Sunday night with a pint.

• carmen medway-stephens

great to hear, inspiring stuff.

reading the website: '15 commissioned plays in three years'  - sound like lots of opportunities, lets hope some new exciting Welsh Voices regardless of age and background are discovered and nurtured.

With the roles - will there be job interview selection?

• National Theatre Wales

Welcome Playwrights' Studio Wales, and well done Tim and Mike on all the hard work to bring this to fruition.

• Rowan Talbot

Call Out for Performing Artists/ Filmakers/ Theatre Makers / Live Artists / Community Groups / Comedy

We are looking for people to be involved in our Black History Month Programme in Cardiff in the form of film, music, drama, storytelling, dance etc. 

We are particularly interested in hearing from Black artists and performers but also those with a connection to our themes of ‘Strong Black Women’ with a Welsh/Local link.

If you know of anybody who may be interested in showcasing their talents, please send details to fran@fizzievents.com or rowantalbot@fizzievents.com

• Claire Louise Prosser

Call out to participants to be part of performance workshop/research about coexistence..

We are human beings. A species of mammal on this earth. We have primitive needs and requirements to survive. We coexist.  What do these things mean in the modern day? What are human relationships built on?

I am really excited to be developing some workshops, sessions, actions that is part of some research of mine into new ways of working as an artist, producer, collaborator, human being. I am looking into creative collaboration around themes of needs, cooperation and coexistence. Much of my work previously has always been about navigating a space, about our relationship to our environment and paying attention to human behaviours or movements. I am treating this workshop as hopefully one of many experimental processes.

Without going into too much detail yet, the workshop will involve working together, moving together, leaning on each other, writing together, speaking and not speaking, eating together and being silent.

This will happen…

On: Sunday 30th August 2015

We will: Arrive at 10.30am for an 11am start

At: Wales Millennium Centre, Preseli Room.

An will cost: nothing (thank you WMC!)

The first workshop will be responding to an interview that I saw on television recently. A man was holding a bird of prey. The largest of three sea eagles on earth. The interviewer asked what their relationship is built from. He answered with three elements. Trust. Food and Routine. We will explore these three things. It may take us one day to (un)cover one of these things. It may take us 30 minutes for each. What I know is the starting point, the content is up to us all when we are together.

Please could you confirm your attendance by Sunday 23rd August. If you are unable to attend please let me know if you would like to be included in future updates of this project.

Claire Prosser

clairelouiseprosser@outlook.com

www.byclaireprosser.com

• carmen medway-stephens

Am currently sorting out all my academic folders wondering what to keep or recycle and will I ever go back to lecturing. I am coming across all my notes on practitioners, Brecht, Grotowski, Boal, Artaud etc...it made me think about... as writers how can we be equipped to write without knowing where we have come from as theatre makers and do we need this knowledge? Is this an area that is being neglected? As writers do we need to be exploring more experimental work and ways of working? Pushing boundaries? Doing what only theatre can do? There are some practitioners in Wales who are doing this. But...Do we need to preserve this and explore more training opportunities to allow writers to write in more challenging ways?

• Catherine Paskell

Dirty Protest are looking for writers!

We are hitting the road with our new show Parallel Lines and we want YOU to come along for the ride!

Dirty Protest are taking advantage of our upcoming road trip around Wales to introduce ourselves, meet the wealth of writers dotted all over the country and to celebrate the diverse and exciting theatre voices we have here.

We strive to create exciting new work and new writing by collaborating with established AND wannabe writers.

Since 2007 Dirty Protest Theatre have produced numerous sell-out new play nights and have worked with over a hundred writers and we’re hungry and eager to work with more!

If you're a writer, or aspiring writer who has never written a play before, you can participate in our FREE upcoming workshops happening in 4 venues across North, South and West Wales.

You'll develop a new script with our Crack Team of professional DP writer, director and actors. Then you'll have your play performed in your local venue that same evening by our lovely, hunky, talented, team.

Take a look at this blog here to find which venue is near you and the dates we'll be in town. Then email us to join in!

We are looking forward to working with you - in English or Welsh.

Catherine and all at DP x 

• carmen medway-stephens

Dear John...

'Dear John. Dear John.
    By the time you read these lines I'll be gone. 
    Life goes on, right or wrong ' (always wanted to sing that from the TV show)

Contemplating a Theatrical Wales without John? 

A big thankyou for helping change the face of Welsh theatre and helping existing and new artists to work. Wishing John all the luck for the future...there's always a welcome in the hillside...and a cup of tea xxxxxx

• Emrys Barnes

New company Fucktons of Fairies are putting on our first play! Mark Ravenhill's Shoot/ Get Treasure/ Repeat is a punchy dark comedy, challenging the 'War on Terror', and we'll be raising money for the refugee crisis. Details below, hope you can make it!

• carmen medway-stephens

Who's coming to the march on Saturday! Its our futures! 2pm at the Museum Cardiff

• Catherine Paskell

Hello wonderful writers! The line up for the third new writing all-day festival, DIRTY GIFTED & WELSH has just been announced here. Meet producers and commissioners, ask questions about writing competitions, take part in workshops and watch some performances, all for a fiver! Next Sunday, 28th Feb, at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff. I hope to see you there! x

• Catherine Paskell

In addition to the line up for Dirty Gifted & Welsh that has just been announced, we have some space for DEBATES - is there something that you're passionate about, is there something that gets on your wick? If there is, let me know because we want you to have the space to lead some debates and conversation about the things that matter to writers right now. Last year, we had debates on female writers and writing for devolution.... what matters to you, now? Send me an email: catherinepaskell@gmail.com and let me know x

• Jane Fox

Please consider supporting our experimental opera NATASHA - A TRIPTYCH - STUDIES IN EXPERIMENTAL OPERA on http://startsomegood.com/Natasha. The campaign is open for pledges until April 14th. Thank you for your time

• National Theatre Wales

We're excited to launch our third Wales Drama Award, in partnership with BBC Wales & BBC Writersroom.

If you'd like more information, or want to find out how you can get involved, click here

• Jaye L Swift

A new play of mine will be performed at Swansea Grand Theatre the Arts Wing on Saturday 28 May , 2016. And Porthcawl Grand Pavillion on Saturday 22 June, 2016

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/LunchtimeTheatreMay

http://www.grandpavilion.co.uk/…/lunchtime-theatre-cefn-gol…

Come along to see it!

• carmen medway-stephens

Hi all,

please come along or pass on to individuals who might me interested - will be running a very special workshop at Bridgend's new venue Carnegie House on 21st of May, as part of Gwanwyn's 10 year anniversary for events for the over 50's come along as a writer but will also be looking for readers.

Link below, contact theatrgwalia@gmail.com 

http://gwanwyn.org.uk/events/writing-your-memories-theatr-gwalia/ 

• Hi everyone. Want to find out more about the Wales Drama Award 2016? Come along to the live Q&A next Friday (20 May). Tickets are free! If you can't make it to BBC Broadcasting House, you can join the livestream online.

Click here to find out more

• Jaye L Swift

Come see my new play!

Fluellen's acclaimed monthly Lunchtime Theatre on SATURDAY 28th MAY at Swansea's Grand Theatre Arts at 12.30pm is CEFN GOLAU, a haunting new play by Jaye L. Swift.

Purchase tickets here

• Lisa Wells-Turner

Hey everyone.  New Workout & Skill Swap date of 5th June at the WMC.  Another to follow in July in the Valleys (Details tbc).  More info here - hopefully see you soon!

• Lisa Wells-Turner

Hello again.  Just a reminder about NTW TEAM Workout & Skill Swap this Sunday.  If you have a project you want to work on, or are looking for something to get involved in, do come along.  We have a 'City of the Unexpected' theme this time round and it should be a blast!  More information here ...

• Jarek Adams

Hi Lisa, 

I’m really interested in coming along to this as I’m just trying to re-establish links with other creatives in my home town of Cardiff, despite currently living in Gloucester. I’m a playwright, and wondered what the day involves, and what I’d need to bring?

Can you let me know ASAP then if it sounds like something I’d find useful, and if I think I can bring something to the day I’ll be very happy to attend.

• carmen medway-stephens

Hi All, 

Have a performance this Friday the 10th at Carnegie House, Bridgend,  7-8.30 if you can come along,

Its based on true historical account from my Grandfathers memoirs of his time flying the Lancaster Bombers.

x

• A reminder - BBC Wales and National Theatre Wales, in partnership with BBC Writersroom are inviting submissions for the Wales Drama Award.

You can enter from Monday 18 July 2016, find out more and how to apply here.

The deadline for submissions is 5pm on 29 July 2016.

• Wales Drama Award 2016 is now open for submissions!

Submit your script by 5pm on Friday 29 July. Find out more here.

• Matt Ball

*PAID WORK CLAXON*

Hi All,

I’m currently working in a primary school in Cardiff through the Lead Creative Schools scheme and we’re looking for a playwright and/or drama facilitator to work with the students to create a new piece of work.

You can find out more about the project and whats entailed by click here to read the brief.

If you want to know more then please drop me a line or give me a call. Deadline for applications is 2nd September.

• Fio

FIO ARE SEEKING PERFORMERS, POETS, MUSICIANS, SPOKEN WORD ARTISTS AND MORE FOR SPEAK EASY EVENT! 

As part of our production of The Mountaintop @ The Other Room we are looking to programme two Speak Easy Events on 8th and 15th October. 

What is a Speak Easy Event? 

Fio want to bring people together in a conversation about race, equality and poverty in 2016. Looking at the themes of The Mountaintop. Asking what has changed since the death of Martin Luther King?

We will be working with Black History Month Wales, Stand Upto Racism and other organisations to programme two event days including speeches, discussions, music, poetry and more. 

We are looking for people who are interested, inspired and motivated by issues around racism, poverty and equality. 

• carmen medway-stephens

Is anyone in Britain pioneering new theatre practice?

• Simon Coates

The Jerwood Foundation are trying to find out how much it costs to get started in the arts and creative sector, looking at the past 10 years.

They've put together a super short and simple questionnaire (it to me literally 1 min) -

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WJCBartsincome

• Catrin Rogers

BBC Cymru Wales, National Theatre Wales and the BBC Writersroom are making final preparations for tomorrow's Wales Drama Award 2016 ceremony (held at Yr Hen Lyfrgell in Cardiff, 5.30pm-7pm).

The four finalists this year are Hardey Speight, William Smith, Jon Jones and Bethan Marlow. They've been selected from over 250 Wales-based drama writers by a panel of judges, including Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, Anne Edyvean, Head of BBC Writersoom and Bethan Jones, Executive Producer with the BBC.

The winner will receive £10,000 and the opportunity to develop their work with BBC Cymru Wales and National Theatre Wales.

We'll update the group tomorrow on who the winner is. In the meantime, below is a bit more information on all four finalists. Very best of luck to them all!

Hardey Speight

Named after Sir Thomas Hardy, Hardey graduated from the University of The Arts LCC and jumped straight into TV and Film as an Assistant Director working on programmes like Sherlock. After relocating to Cardiff he’s progressed into directing and writing creative content for the advertising world. His work is predominantly centred on telling beautiful stories about the human condition, about real characters, in a moment of crisis, but always with a sense of humour and pathos at heart. A huge influence on his style is the work of Mike Leigh, and more recently Jill Soloway, whose portraits of intricate, complex human relationships are original and compelling.

William Smith

Born in Swansea and currently living in Cardiff, William graduated from the University of Wales, Newport with a degree in Film Studies in 2010. Since graduating he wrote the short film "King of The Castle", which was made as part of the "It's My Shout" scheme and broadcast on BBC2 Wales in 2011, and "Lift Jockeys", a short film produced in 2014. In addition to writing in his spare time, he’s previously worked as a producer and presenter for Radio Cardiff, as well as an office administrator.

Jon Jones

Jon graduated from Manchester University with a degree in English Literature. His first job in the Film and Television industry was as a carpenter, from there working up the Art Department in a variety of roles, finishing up as an Art Director working on a number of BBC dramas and the feature film ‘Young Americans’, before returning to study Direction at the National Film and Television School. His first directing job was on the ITV Series, Cold Feet. Jon is married with three growing boys and tries to write when there’s a bit of quiet in the house.

Bethan Marlow

Bethan is a writer that likes to collaborate, test boundaries and telling stories on multiple platforms. She’s particularly passionate about voices within communities that aren’t being heard. She’s driven to write by people’s stories- their journeys, their experiences and their way of surviving in the world. Bethan has created work with communities in Ghana, Colombia and Malawi, as well as working Paines Plough, Royal Shakespeare Company and National Theatre Wales. She was one of the Traverse 50 writers.

• Catrin Rogers

William Smith is the winner of the Wales Drama Award 2016!

His win was announced at a ceremony held this evening at Yr Hen Lyfrgell in Cardiff. He will receive £10,000 and the opportunity to develop his work with BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Writersroom and National Theatre Wales.

Swansea-born William graduated from the University of Wales, Newport with a degree in Film Studies in 2010. Since graduating he wrote the short film King of The Castle, which was made as part of the It's My Shout scheme and broadcast on BBC2 Wales in 2011, and Lift Jockeys, a short film produced in 2014. In addition to writing in his spare time, he’s previously worked as a producer and presenter for Radio Cardiff, as well as an office administrator. He now lives in Cardiff.

The three other finalists for this year’s award were Hardey Speight, Jonathan Jones and Bethan Marlow.

The biennial Wales Drama Award for English-language writing is a collaboration between two creative leaders in drama in Wales – BBC Cymru Wales and National Theatre Wales – in close partnership with BBC Writersroom. It is both a celebration of writers in Wales and an open call to Welsh talent, whether emerging or established.

Over 250 writers, either born or based in Wales, submitted their work in July 2016, from which BBC Writersoom along with input from professional television and theatre readers drew up a shortlist of eight. From these eight writers four finalists were selected by a panel of judges, including Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, Anne Edyvean, Head of BBC Writersoom and Bethan Jones, Executive Producer BBC Drama.

Anne Edyvean from BBC Writersroom, said: William's writing keeps you turning the pages - hooked in by skilled storytelling and great visual images. William is drawn to telling stories set in worlds that are in some way different to our own, but familiar enough to resonate with the audience - his settings are often ‘What if......?’”

Bethan Jones, Executive Producer for BBC Drama said: "This award is a way to ensure writers are able to afford to carve out time to write and have support to develop their work. It’s great to be able to support William Smith’s huge potential. But it also draws the industry’s attention to the potential of other voices, the shortlisted winners as well as others who didn’t quite make it through the process.”

Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, said: "William is a wonderful storyteller who clearly has a passion for, and a commitment to, writing rich and complex characters and narratives. He is undoubtedly a talent to watch. It will be very exciting to see what he goes on to produce, and how his win will inspire other writers in Wales in the future." 

Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, said: William Smith’s RESIDUE is a compelling study of two teens’ battle for survival in a post-apocalyptic world. The landscape is often domestic and recognisable and so the terror and danger are all the more potent. William weaves an often exciting, yet emotional tale. A genre piece with a twist!”

• Danny Muir

PERFORMER OPPORTUNITY!
    Fio are calling spoken word artists, musicians, singers, dancers, actors, & anyone who would consider what they do a performance art. We are especially interested in Black and Minority Ethnic Performance Artists. We are also looking for individuals willing to speak about their experience of race within Wales.

Throughout the month of October, Fio will be engaging in a series of Speakeasy’s alongside their tour of The Mountaintop by Katori Hall. These will be taking place in:

*Powys Dance - 3rd October
    *Narberth - Span Arts - 7th October
    *Blackwood Miners Institute - 10th - 13th October
    *Newport Riverfront 18th - 19th October

*Ffwrnes Llanelli - 26th - 27th October

We are looking for passionate artists who are interested in race within Wales and want to be part of taking these conversations to the places that really need them. The evening will be a mix of educating and facilitating discussion, and a night of engaging political art.

*Do you care about racial inequality in Wales?
    *Do you have something to say?

Email Danny@wearefio.co.uk with:

*An introduction to who you are, what you do, and where you are based
    *A link to your work (If possible)
    *Why you’d like to be involved in this project.

About Fio:
    Fio is a Cardiff based theatre company working across the UK and internationally, bringing world class socio-political stories to local audiences. Fio creates work with people of all ages, religions and backgrounds, using performance techniques to help them tell stories that are as momentous and unique as they are themselves.

• Allan Neve

***CALLOUT FOR WRITERS***

We’re looking for five hopefuls to take part in our upcoming ScriptDawg (late October) who’re brave enough to take on our three-day challenge. To apply, you will need to submit ten pages of script. This can be for ANY MEDIUM, a completed piece or just an extract, as long as it's presented in the correct format (bear in mind that you'll be writing for theatre if selected).

If the submission is an extract as opposed to a finished piece, please provide the context required for us to fully appreciate it. Also, please include a tagline in the e-mail to summarise the script. We will provide feedback for the entries of the five writers selected for the challenge.
    Speaking of which... the challenge/process itself:

DAY 1 - The writers are given the secret theme or topic and around 24 hours to produce the first draft.

DAY 2 - Writers, actors and the director meet up for read-throughs, all acting as script editors. The writers are given another deadline for final drafts.

DAY 3 - The finished scripts are sent to the actors and director for rehearsals and staging, in preparation for the performance.

You can email your scripts to scriptdawg@gmail.com. We will only be accepting one script per person. ANYONE CAN ENTER.

ScriptDawg operates in CARDIFF, Wales, so keep that in mind if you're based further afield. The development process and the event itself will take place in Cardiff, so make sure you're available the week of the 23rd October if you're submitting.
    DEADLINE – 17/10/2017 23:59.
    If you have any questions, do not hesitate to drop us a comment, a message or an email.
    Thanks.

• Bethan Morgan

Mercury Theatre Wales have entered our domestic abuse project 35TIMES into the Aviva Community Fund. Please click the link and vote for us. Voting closes this weekend. Thank you.

https://www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk/voting/project/view/17-3713

• Fio

NEW YEAR.... NEW OPPORTUNITY!!

Fio are excited to announce their new development programme DECLARATION supported by Cyngor Celfyddydau Cymru | Arts Council of Wales

We are looking for ACTORS, WRITERS and DIRECTORS who feel their stories and voices are not currently being seen on our stages.

You will receive a week of FREE Masterclasses and a PAID creation week. Click to find out more:

www.wearefio.co.uk/opportunities

Read our Declaration: 

For too long in Wales, we have been faced with a lack of diversity in both the stories we tell and those who get to tell those stories. As a solution-focused arts charity, we want to change that. We know there is no one solution but we hope to be part of and instigators of much-needed change.

Recent events have proved to us that change is needed here in Wales from the Aberaeron Carnival to Cardiff University to the Music Theatre Wales' production of The Golden Dragon, there are clearly conversations we need to be having both creatively and socially as a nation. We understand that race and ethnicity is not the only barrier faced by those trying to create work and we wish to create a new programme that recognises any barrier faced by those wanting to create live work.

We are embarking on a new project, Declaration, which will identify, nurture and develop both unheard voices and championing those existing artists who have yet not had the exposure or recognition they deserve. We will bring together artists at all levels of their career to create new work. Share experiences and promote a more diverse and representative performance culture. A chance for a collection of artists to come together learn, develop and create.

Over the past 2 years of working in Wales, we have worked with a network of diverse artists whom we wish to grow and support whilst identifying new talent and underrepresented voices.

We also wish to take time and space for us to meet new people as well as promote and support the work of other organisations and individuals who share our common aim. We would also like to signpost these artists to other more resourced organisations who can support further development of the ideas and artists.

We will support minority voices and underrepresented people. We want to tell new stories and offer new opportunities for people who feel unheard. We want the next generation to see their faces and their stories on our stages. We wish to create new narratives that represent now and the experiences of all people.

This is our Declaration.

• Steve Bennett

Clock Tower Theatre Company have been devoted to producing new writing since our inception. Going into 2018 we want to continue to support new writers and their work. 

So we’re looking for some brand new writing to continue this trend. Work that has been created in the past two years, is bold and current and at least an hour long.

If you’ve got any work that fits this remit, whether complete or not, please get in touch with us. We’d love to meet you, read your work and potentially help you with developing or finishing it. 

Email us at: 
    clocktowertc@gmail.com 
    with Writers’ Call Out as the subject title.

Submission deadline: Thursday 1 March

We look forward to hearing from you! 

CT team

• Jane Fox

A modern opera double bill for everyone who loves opera and for anyone who thinks opera isn’t for them.
    https://www.wmc.org.uk/Productions/2018-2019/…/Peacekeeping/

‘Peacekeeping’ (45 minutes) Is a multi-layered story about the trade in human beings in this beautiful psychological chamber opera.
    A Ty Cerdd New Music commission 2017-18.

‘The Filmmaker and The Organ Trader’ (30 minutes) A haunting electronic score evoking an industrial, transport and internal body soundscape. An unusual love story between clowns inviting us to delve into their dark, lucrative world of body harvesting and organ trading.
    A crowd funded commission 2016.

Supported by Wales Millennium Centre, Ty Cerdd, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama; Opera’r Ddraig, Spit&Sawdust, crowd funders and Joyce Watson AM.

• Kelly Jones

• Jordan Forse

Hi All! 

Hope you are well. I am not sure if you have seen over facebook at all, but I have just opened a thetare company in the Vale, and I am running a Writer's Scratch Night.

This event will be a workshop style event where the writers present their work to actors, then workshop it with them as part of a development process.

The event is free - and it's aims are to look at supporting and developing the work of those who are young in the industry through practical ways. The Event is https://www.facebook.com/events/503451750088697/

• Jordan Forse

Final call for The Writer’s Scratch Night. 

Pen and Paper Theatre Company are holding a Scratch night but with a difference. Are you working on a script right now, or developing a script you have written? 

Our Scratch night is set to be a workshop style event led by writers, working with actors on developing their scripts through practical exploration. If you just want to hear your script out loud, workshop scenes or even play with visual elements, this event is perfect for you. 

This is a final call for a writer, to find out more information or book your place get in touch or comment below. 

The event is free, and not paid but will be 2 hours of exploration, development and artistic experimentation. Held on 16th August at Arts Central Gallery, Barry, Vale of Glam, 6-8. 

Can’t attend the event but still want your work involved? You can send work to us, and we can gain feedback both visually and written to send over to you following the event. 

Contact Jordan at Pen and Paper Theatre Company on - 07855720447 or email penandpapertheatreco@gmail.com

• Kelly Jones

Hey Writers:

have a space booked on the Dirty Protest writers retreat in Ty Newydd next week and can no longer go -am looking to give it to someone who'd benefit - for free

The residency is Playwrighting and theatricality- from 3rd-7th Sept. Taught by Tim Price and Hamish Pirie- I also have a return ticket for the train from Cardiff to Criccith.

If you can do it- you are welcome to have it

Email me kels530@hotmail.com

• Danny Muir

Hey everyone, 

We are currently have a script submission email open until January the 15th and are very interested in working with new Wales based writers, if that sounds like you please get in touch! 

See image below for more details.

Cheers!

• Paul-Robbie Stoyle

Do you dutifully start typing only to be tempted to dive into Instagram, or start cleaning the kitchen, or Skype an old friend…?

Zenpens is an exciting new writer’s retreat based in Cardiff City Centre. Adapted from the Writer’s Army workshops lead by the New York playwright Anne Washburn, Zenpens allows writers to concentrate solely on their work in meditative silence.

Togetherness is a spur . The presence of other writers can allow you to work longer and more productively than you normally would and helps to move you through periods of inattention and malaise.

Cool, so how does it work?

Zenpens is a one day silent writers retreat. No phones. No social media. No distractions.

Meeting at 9:45 am for a short debrief and writing exercises, we start working in earnest at 10 am until 1 pm. An hour lunch. Then more silent writing from 2 pm until 6 pm.

The most important rule is that everyone starts and leaves at the same time. It’s a quiet space, but most importantly it’s a space where everyone is working steadily together.

We also ask that people not work during lunch. Periods of not working and switching off completely are vital for overall productivity.

What’s on offer?

A supportive space to begin something new or rehash something old.

New networking possibilities.

Writing exercises to boost creativity.

Free tea and coffee facilities.

How much?

Money collected at the retreat is used to pay for the space and its upkeep. If you can, please pay the suggested donation of £8 or £5 concession.

This sounds right for me, when’s the next one?

Zenpens will be taking place on the 20th April at the John Dennithorne Room, Quaker Meeting House, 43 Charles Street, Cardiff CF10 2GB.

How can I get in touch?  

Spaces are limited, so please email your interest to Paul Stoyle at zenpenssilentretreat@gmail.com or visit https://zenpens-silentwritersretreats.yolasite.com/ for more information.

Best wishes,

Zenpens.

“All know the way, few actually walk it”

-    Zen proverb

• Bethan Morgan

MERCURY THEATRE WALES have exciting news:-

With an aim to support freelance practitioners, create connections and share opportunities in Wales, we will be starting a new monthly group SYNERGIZE.

Whether you are a performer, writer, producer or director, you are welcome to our first meeting where we will explore how we wish to work together over the coming months and what we wish to achieve.

The meeting will be held on
    MONDAY 25th MARCH 5pm - 7pm in the Community Room, Tesco Extra, Western Avenue, Cardiff CF14 3AT.

Refreshments will be provided and we will ask for a donation of £3 to cover costs.
    As we have space for around 30 people, please email your interest to info@mercurytheatrewales.co.uk

• Paul-Robbie Stoyle

Spaces are still available for the next silent writing retreat.

Zenpens is an exciting new writer’s retreat based in Cardiff City Centre. Adapted from the Writer’s Army workshops lead by the New York playwright Anne Washburn, Zenpens allows writers to concentrate solely on their work in meditative silence.

Zenpens is a one-day silent writers retreat. No phones. No social media. No distractions.

Meeting at 9:45 am for a short debrief and writing exercises, we start working in earnest at 10 am until 1 pm. An hour lunch. Then more silent writing from 2 pm until 6 pm.

The most important rule is that everyone starts and leaves at the same time. It’s a quiet space, but most importantly it’s a space where everyone is working steadily together.

We also ask that people not work during lunch. Periods of not working and switching off completely are vital for overall productivity.

What’s on offer?

A supportive space to begin something new or rehash something old.

New networking possibilities.

Writing exercises to boost creativity.

Free tea and coffee facilities.

How much?

Money collected at the retreat is used to pay for the space and its upkeep. If you can, please pay the suggested donation of £8 or £5 concession.

This sounds right for me, when’s the next one?

Zenpens will be taking place on the 20th April at the John Dennithorne Room, Quaker Meeting House, 43 Charles Street, Cardiff CF10 2GB.

How can I get in touch?  

Spaces are limited, so please email your interest to Paul Stoyle at zenpenssilentretreat@gmail.com or visit https://zenpens-silentwritersretreats.yolasite.com/ for more information.

Best wishes,

Zenpens.

-    Zen proverb

• Paul-Robbie Stoyle

Zenpens Silent Morning Retreat
    Zenpens are offering a short morning retreat on the 22nd June at the Cardiff Quaker Meeting House, 43 Charles Street, Cardiff CF10 2GB.

Meeting at 10 am will we begin with a short writing exercises and continue silent writing until 12 pm.

How much?

Spaces are limited, so please reply to this email to confirm your place or visit https://zenpens-silentwritersretreats.yolasite.com/ for more information.  

Best wishes,

Zenpens.

-    Zen proverb

• Andy Evans

Hi. I hope its okay to post this here. As a current student on an MA in Theatre at the University of Lincoln, I am looking for a topic to base my dissertation on later this year. I am considering writing about the way Wales/Welshness is portrayed by Welsh writers writing plays in English. I am trying to discover if there are any key academic texts/journals I should be reading, or at least be aware of prior to suggesting I may look at this topic. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. I would also like to get an idea of the plays considered to be the most important Welsh plays in English over the last 20 years. Please comment or PM me with any suggestions and don't be afraid to promote your own work if it counts!

• alun howell

Welsh drama (perhaps all drama) is difficult to quantify in a academic way. I am not aware of any 'key academic texts or journals'. Most writers/theatre goers will have their own idea of important dramas but finding texts is a lot more difficult although the situation is improving eg Iphigenia in Splot by Gary Owen has been published by the Sherman Theatre. It has been difficult enough to put on any performances of Welsh drama at all so there is really no academic work that I know of.