Simon Coates

Male

Cardiff

United Kingdom

Profile Information:

What I do:
Artistic Director, Producer, Facilitator.
A little more about me:
Supporting artists to make/discover/present new pieces of performance for audiences in Wales.

Currently Director - Taliesin Arts Centre (Swansea)

Previously, I was Head of Creative Development at National Theatre Wales where i was responsible for artist development and new ideas. I oversaw WalesLab and an expanded programme of work for artists exploring new ideas through a Creative Development framework which included residencies (wales and internationally) commissions and other opportunities.

Before that i was at Wales Millennium Centre as an Associate Producer where I was responsible for the Incubator Project, the Centre's Creative Development project. Also programming in the Weston Studio and running a lot of the Centre's community projects.

My background is in devised theatre and choreographic practices; I trained at Dartington College of Arts and went on to produce a number of performances merging theatre, dance and various written and found texts (I should probably make it clear that I am definitely not a dancer, or writer!)
Projects I’m working on:
https://www.taliesinartscentre.co.uk/
Twitter @username:
@smn_coates

Comment Wall:

Load Previous Comments
  • Rowena Louise Bernice Scurlock

Hi what I want to do is to develop one of my one act plays. Its called 'Dimensions' and it only contains two people.

• Sarah Jane Leigh

Happy Second Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x

• Buddug James Jones

Nice choice of profile picture...

CROESO!

• Anne Langford

Hello Simon - I saw Franklyn's post and I've responded offering a phone call with some advice.  It would be really interesting for WalesLab to offer some support and guidance - maybe in tandem with ITC?  Would be great to chat about this.  Also, congrats on the new role - looking forward to working with you!

• Emma Angharad Baggott

Hi Simon,

Thankyou.

I will wait eagerly for the info about Wales Lab hope you are enjoying the sunshine.

Emma

• Emily Hinshelwood

thanks Simon!

• Michael Aubin

Hi Simon
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really interested in submitted a piece for Wales lab. I rescently pulled an old piece out of the closet and took it to NTWworkout and scratch that itch and it has had some good responses. I spoke with Devinda at scratch and he suggested Wales lab might be a good avenue to pursue. So I'll definitely keep an eye out for the submission dates and look forward to discussing the idea with you!

Michael
  • Michael Aubin

Super! well I guess the only question I had was how to get involved and submit work but i guess that'll come in due course. So I'll just keep an eye out on the group page! :)

• Nerea Martinez de Lecea

Hi Simon, do you have an email address that I can contact you on?

• Timothy Collins

Hi Simon, the online application form for Wales Lab does not seem to be working? Maybe its just my snooty browser.

Thanks!

• Timothy Collins

Ahhh I scrolled down and there she is! Thanks Simon. Looking forward to submitting something!

• Nico Morrison

Hey simon,

I tried to use the submission form online the other day but the link isn't working. 

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Nico

• Nico Morrison

I think whatever was going wrong has sorted itself out. Thanks though.

Nico

• Jack Muir

Hi Simon,

I did indeed, yes! Monday night drama club. 

Thanks for the welcome. I certainly shall get in touch :)

All the best!

• Mair De-Gare PItt

Hi Simon

I can't seem to find the entry form for Wales lab submission. I've got a short script I'd like to have a go with.

• Dewi Evans

Hey Simon

Just added two events to the NTW Community for our tour of “Tea with Mamgu” one date is in Aberystwyth at the Arts Centre on the 11th September and one is on the 13th September in Tongwynlais just outside of Cardiff in their Village Hall. Would love it if one of your team could attend the performance as we have some amazing actors involved!

Thanks!

• Matthew Bulgo

Hi Simon
    I have an idea that I want to submit to WalesLab. I've decided not to submit it this time around as the rest of 2013 is already looking manic enough for me. I was just wondering when the next short-listing day would be?
    M X
  • Matthew Bulgo

Hi Simon

Ah, brilliant. Many thanks for that. I will certainly be in touch.

Cheers! M X
  • Paul Jenkins

Hi Simon - just looked over the tweaked guidelines for artists. Looks mighty fine to me. My personal interest at the mo is any kind of 'match-making' services NTW could offer - using your bird's eye view of theatre-makers in Wales as a invaluable resource when looking for suitable collaborators for specific projects. If any advice could be offered in that regard it would be super useful. Thanks! Paul.
  • Lucy Rivers

Hi Simon,

Yes we had a great Edinburgh thanks - as did NTW! I'm around writing the next show, and could meet up towards the end of next week if that suits you? Thurs or Friday some time.

Lucy x

• Lucy Rivers

That's great, NTW office at 3.30pm and maybe we can get a posh coffee in Barkers.  See you there.

Lx

• Dewi Evans

Hey Simon if you let me know who is coming or how many and I'll make sure there are tickets avalible on the door for them.
  • Dewi Evans

Two tickets have been reserved for you so see them tomorrow.
  • Fiona Watt

Hi Simon,

Just picking this up now - I will be meeting with some in the Weston Gallery, Anthony Hopkins Centre at 11.30 this morning and others may be around before that.

I will be in the Foyer from 10 so if you are still free, do come and find me. Almost Human have a cart in The Market Place, as do Bread and Goose and both wo.uld like to meet you.

• Dewi Evans

Can you thank Anne for coming to “Tea with Mamgu” on Friday night? I hope she enjoyed the performance and any feedback she may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for sending someone to watch the show!  

• Louise Breckon - Richards

Hi Simon. Just a quick note. Sent first 20 pages of my script to Matt Ball and ideas a long time ago now. Still no acknowledgement of receipt or contact to say  Suitable  or unsuitable for NTW. Is called 'Small Mountain'. Hope all well there,and thanks Louise Breckon - Richards.

• Kate Wasserberg

Hi Simon, hugely belated thanks for the welcome to waleslab! I'll be moving to Cardiff in November, could we have a coffee?

• Ieuan Watkins

Hi Simon. You asked me to let you know when I'd finished the play I was working on - your read an extract a little while ago. It is now complete.A section of it is set at the end of the First World War, the rest is set in the present.Best wishes, Ieuan

• Anastacia Ackers

Hello Simon.

What email can I contact you on? Its regarding the WalesLab application.

thanks,

Anastacia
  • tracy harris

Hi Simon

Would next week be possible to have a chat?

Thanks

Tracy 

• Anastacia Ackers

Hi! Ah thanks for that! Fingers crossed for the WalesLab!
  • alan bryant

Hi Simon, I have written about 40 minutes of a stage play, could I send it, or an excerpt, to you

for your opinion please? 

Kind regards

alan bryant

• Kelsey Richards

Hi Simon, so glad you enjoyed!

Quite scary to put work out there, but a really enjoyable process. It's made me think about entering competitions with other pieces of work, would really like to try and develop as a better writer. I'm just glad no one demanded their money back/ threw tomatos, so all good!

No plans for this piece, so will pop it in the drawer and start working on the next one :) thank you for your lovely and helpful feedback, it's definitely spurred me on!

What are you working on at the moment?
  • Kelsey Richards

A busy time then! Must be so exciting to see all the potential ideas in the inbox for WalesLab. I did think of applying, then talked myself out. But had some good reactions to the play last night, so am rethinking my application! Nothing to lose :)

(But if you do stumble across my idea and it's rubbish, I'm relying on you to put it straight in the shredder and protect my reputation!)

All the best x
  • alan bryant

Thanks Simon I've attached the first ten pages plus cast list. I would like to take it further and make it 80 - 90 minutes but it would be good to have an opinion on it first. If you think it's all a bit pointless please say so, that's fine.

Kind regards alan

first%20excerpt%20of%20Primary%20Concern.doc

• Ben Heneghan

Hi Simon:

I've recently joined the NTW community and have sent you some script and songs from a musical I'm working on. Hope you enjoy it.

Ben Heneghan

• Katie Harris

Hi Simon,

I was just wondering if the emerging directors scheme was going ahead again this year, and if it is when will applications be open for 2014?

Thanks

Katie

• Tamar Eluned Williams

Hi Simon,

I'd just like to ask the same question as Katie below - will you be running the emerging directors scheme again this year and if so, when will applications open?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tamar

• Rowena Louise Bernice Scurlock

A bit of both
  • Ray Thomas

Hi, Simon

You posted a positive and intriguing response to my "Everyman's Theatre Lab - 'The Melting Pot'" message 928 March) and I wondered if we might now meet up and discuss further what might be possible. Look forward to hearing from you. Hope the Laugharne event went well. Cheers.

Ray Thomas

• Ray Thomas

Hi - last message was supposed to read (28 March)!

• Chinatsu Kato

Hi, Simon!

This is Chinatsu Kato from Underground Airport.

Very excited about the whole project.

Just sent you a request to add me as a friend.

Talk to you soon!

Chinatsu

• Ray Thomas

Hello, Simon

Hope that all is well. I would like to invite you to attend "The Thunder & Lightning Man - Andrew Crosse", a devised piece which I am presenting as my M.A Drama Major Production: 7.30 pm - Friday 12 & Saturday 13 September 2014 - The Theatre, in The Atrium. Audience numbers will be limited, so I would be grateful if you could please RSVP and let me know how many tickets you will need. Many thanks. Ray Thomas. Contact: 

raythomas48@hotmail.com

• Ray Thomas

Hi, Simon

Can I please refer you to my post dated 25 April - re. "Everyman Theatre Lab - 'The Melting Pot'"? Any progress or further information, please? Ray Thomas

• Osian Rhys

Hi, 

Could you send me some details on welshlab?

Thank you,

Osian

• Justin Teddy Cliffe

Hi Simon!

Thought I'd post an invite to you for a Comedy Cabaret night and a couple of other events we've got on the go for ComedyPort next week.

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/events/trash-comedyport

• Yvonne Murphy

Hi Simon

Just thinking there must be some future female Theatre Producers/Directors out there after some work experience  and you might know who they are?

Best

Yvonne

• Rachel-Helena Walsh

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mr Simon Coates! x

• Rob Keeley

Hi Simon, I've just joined the community and Writers group.  Good to meet you.  My name is Rob Keeley and I'm a dramatist, novelist and short story writer keen to write for theatre.  I'm about to send a sample of work to the "ideas" e-mail address so more details there!  I'm based in Merseyside but would be delighted to chat online any time!  My profile on here and my website (www.robkeeley.co.uk) give more details on what I'm up to as a writer at the moment.

Thanks

Rob

• Geraint Cardy

Simon,

Hi, it's Geraint Cardy. I am an actor/writer recently moved back to Cardiff from London.

I met John Mcgrath at a reading recently and he was going to come to a one man piece I am currently working on called OUT OF SOUNDS.  He unfortunately then said he couldn't make it but was going to send someone else along. (In the end I had to cancel the piece for personal reasons, but that's besides the point as regards this email). In my emails with John  I asked, as I am new to the area, if it would be possible to meet someone for five/ten minutes to get a feel of how the NTW worked and also the scene in Wales, eg. some advice of where might be best for my piece and what avenues to chase. One thing I thought of, is that I have been told that the NTW does a lot of site specific projects, something that could, I think work for my piece. He said he would forward my emails on to yourself.    

I won't go on about Out of Sounds here, or myself, we could end up with War and Peace but I wondered if you had the email from John and if there was any chance of 5/10 mins of your time  at some point. One can do a lot of research but 10 mins with someone who knows the scene can help an enormous amount.

You can answer me on the NTW website or email me on gcardy64@gmail.com.

Thanks

Geraint