This week the eyes of the theatre world are focused on Edinburgh for the British Council's biannual showcase of the best British theatre and dance, as part of the world's biggest arts festival. This year Arts Council Wales (ACW)  have supported companies to showcase their work in Edinburgh giving them the opportunity to " [...] present their work to international delegates and subsequently tour overseas."  We want to ask is there also a way to get these (inter)national promoters to come to Wales and see the range of work on offer from our theatre community. 

Abdul and I want to find out if there is the feasibility of and desire for a theatre festival in Wales. We have just received funding from ACW to undertake this work and are at the beginning of consulting with theatre makers, venues, funders and other interested parties to see if this can go beyond a recurring conversation. We're not suggesting a festival that would rival Edinburgh, but one that makes a significant impact on the visibility of Welsh theatre.

If you'd like to get involved in the consultation, the first step is to fill in the questionnaire linked to below - alternatively you can get in touch with me or Abdul directly to tell us what you think, or you can leave a comment here.

We'll be collecting responses and conducting interviews over the next few weeks, before writing up our findings and suggestions. Once these have been seen by ACW we'll publish them online and share them with anyone who asked us to during the consultation period.

We can only include your opinions and thoughts if you share them with us (and this can be anonymously if you want), so if you have an opinion and want it heard speak now or forever hold your peace...

To complete the questionnaire click here

Views: 472

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by abdul shayek on August 28, 2013 at 2:07

Great to see so many views on this blog, please share with as many people as possible.  We want as many people to respond as possible - so don't be shy and share through your networks!

Comment by Emily Rees on August 22, 2013 at 6:20
I think its a great idea. There's so much Welsh talent out there and it would be great to bring more of the industry to Wales. .
Comment by Isabelle Paige on August 22, 2013 at 6:02

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'm a huge fan of the edinburgh festival, I go almost every year, so it would be great to have one on the doorstep!! Brighton has one, London has one, we should have one!! It might be good for the economy - bringing in visitors from outside Wales, and of course great for creatives and performers. I have taken a show to Edinburgh before, and our biggest expense by far was accomodation, so if there was a festival here we could cast local performers and take that huge cost out of the equation. Big thumbs up!!

Comment by abdul shayek on August 20, 2013 at 11:39

As Matt says we want to know your thoughts and ideas about a potential festival in Wales, so please do fill in the form or get in touch with either of us.

Comment by Dean Scurlock on August 20, 2013 at 4:40

excellent idea. Wales has a proud history of internationalism going back centuries, from immigration into Cardiff in the early 1800's to Welsh miners going to fight for the Spanish Republic against the fascists in the 1930's. A Welsh theatre festival, coming off the back of the excellent productions at Chapter Arts, Sherman, National Theatre Wales, Dirty Protest and many more, would set Wales even more firmly on the international creative map

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service