Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on January 5, 2015 at 4:54

This looks like an interesting event

ArtWorks Cymru Rhoi ar Waith / Putting it into Practice

Higher Education Network / Rhwydwaith Addysg Uwch

ArtWorks Cymru has been funded for two more years and will roll out a programme of seed funding, research and networking from January 2015. The ArtWorks Cymru partnership now comprises of 26 arts organisations and artists from across Wales.

A key element of our mission over the next two years is to make much stronger links between the arts sector and higher education. There are excellent examples of collaboration already happening, and we would like to highlight these projects and foster more.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/artworks-cymru-rhoi-ar-waith-putting...

Comment by Angharad Lee on December 4, 2014 at 6:26

Yes seen all this. WAG on the other hand are focusing on employment skills and transferable skills.

How do arts organisations help to create a successful landscape for reforms within the education system? What are the actualities of this?

With schools concerning themselves with measurable outcomes and each individual becoming a statistic, is now not the time for businesses and organisations integrating themselves into the school system?? Could we not create the balance here. It's all about balance isn't it, and all learning should be centred around the individuals learning style, so how do we get this balance right?

Emphasis is now on skill development, critical thinking, personal effectiveness etc...surely we can influence this? Employers should be taking ownership of skills needed/required for employment.

Comment by Bill Hamblett on December 4, 2014 at 5:17

I suppose a relevant document that may have partially kick-started the NTW discussion came out of the Arts Council Wales report by Dai Smith that was the focus of the last ACW conference that I was at and the speakers at that conference seemed to support the teaching of many if not all subjects through the medium of the arts. Yes it is possible, anyway here is a link to WAG page with this report available to download and the Welsh government response that i an still wading through that seems to agree with the findings. here is the link

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/educationandskills/publications/wagrevie...

Comment by Angharad Lee on December 4, 2014 at 5:05

This is such a huge discussion. Another question I would like to raise is how do we differentiate between theatre companies who have outreach departments seeing the education system as a marketing/audience development opportunity and a sincere want to up skill, empower and effect change? If those at the top of the chain(and I say this loosely) are not sincere in thought and want then.....

Comment by Michaela Nutt on December 4, 2014 at 4:29

Apologies if this has already been shared, however I am slowly working my way through Arts Council England's latest publication 'Create' and thought this chapter would be of interest. 

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/value-arts-and-culture/sta... 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on December 3, 2014 at 8:48

have taught in comp/college/uni for over 16 years

Comment by Angharad Lee on December 3, 2014 at 6:53

Excellent Bill. Would love to chat 

Comment by Bill Hamblett on December 3, 2014 at 6:47

Answer: As an artist in residence for a few terms in Ely Cardiff leading to intergenerational work in all the schools in Ely primary and secondary over about 5 years and developing curriculum related work in sessions once a week over 24 schools in and around Swansea for over 2 years. Moving this on to Cardiff, Wrexham and Bristol. Also working with educationalists to develop programmes of work around philosophy for children in Welsh schools. 7 years collaborating with Save the Children education department, touring shows in schools throughout every region of the UK and producing related education packs. 38 years of theatre in education work around development issues and the environment in UK, Africa, Asia. Countless workshops too. Listening to and working with teachers and educationalists producing the stuff of growth in these collaborations has not lead me to spend even more time in schools and become a teacher but I have put in some time attached to the chalk face. Was this teaching? have I taught? ... Yes

Comment by Gavin Porter on December 3, 2014 at 1:46

Not I Angharad

Comment by Angharad Lee on December 3, 2014 at 1:33

Can I just ask how many of you in this group have been into a classroom and taught? Just interested to know. Cheers xx

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service