Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on August 2, 2015 at 23:35

From an article published on Edutopia entitled "Why Arts Education is Crucial"

"When you think about the purposes of education, there are three. We're preparing kids for jobs. We're preparing them to be citizens. And we're teaching them to be human beings who can enjoy the deeper forms of beauty. The third is as important as the other two."

I think this is a statement that we can all agree with but are there any other purposes to education? 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on August 2, 2015 at 23:15

From the site - I think this is a really important point and one that sits very well within NTW's philosophy

1. A 2005 REPORT BY THE RAND CORPORATION CALLED “A PORTRAIT OF THE VIS...

"A bold assertion, but not one without merit. Students from lower income families often get little exposure to the arts if they are not provided by schools. The report shows that arts education can help close the gap between socioeconomic groups, creating a more level playing field between children who may not be exposed to these enrichment experiences outside of school and some of their more privileged peers."

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on August 2, 2015 at 23:10

Hi all 

I'm just reading through a set of studies on the effectiveness and importance of arts in education.  I thought I'd share as it makes interesting reading. 

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/10-salient-studies-on-the-arts-in-edu...

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on August 2, 2015 at 23:06

Hi Amanda

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to talk last Thursday - it was a really interesting and useful session and was lovely to meet you (albeit very briefly!)

Hope to catch up properly soon

Naomi 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on July 29, 2015 at 9:55

Thank you Amanda, that's excellent and really useful - a very valid point about the geographical enormity of 'Mid' - will have a think about this and be in touch soon. Thanks also for the link to the Facebook network - as soon as we have confirmed date(s) and venue(s) please could we post a message there? 

Comment by Ceridwen Powell on July 29, 2015 at 3:30

Hi Naomi

I am in Llanfair Caereinion in North Powys and would be interested in a Mid-Wales meeting, but the Mid is so big maybe you need 2 meetings, one North (say Newtown) and one South (Builth/Llandrindod)?  I am a member of a new networking group with people who may be interested also - https://www.facebook.com/groups/269682086527409/.  best wishes

Amanda (artist name Ceridwen Powell)

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on July 27, 2015 at 22:48

Oh my goodness, that should have read: This is fab thanks for sharing Ben! Sorry Ben - brain melt!  In other news, please could you let me know when you might be free for a chat about approaching Mid Wales contacts for the Rethinking Education meeting up there?  Thank you 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on July 27, 2015 at 4:23

This is fab thanks for sharing Bill - what a talented man he is and I loved his approach to trying to reintroduce musical instruments to primary schools - how did this essential part of education ever peter out?  Music and learning instruments was such an integral part of my childhood - I don't know what I would have done with my time if I hadn't had my piano, flute, harp, guitar and violin to go home to - yes I do, I'd have been numbing my brain in some way or another... What a shame then as adults that we are all guilty of thinking that creativity and 'play' is something confined to our distant pasts and is the opposite of what the 'real world' is...Time for a change!  

Comment by Ben Tinniswood on July 24, 2015 at 6:29

Talking of Creative learning empowering people...

http://zenpencils.com/comic/rhodes/

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on July 24, 2015 at 1:02

Thank you Bill, that's great.  It will be at the Creative Common on Goat Street

Cheers!

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service