Information

Rhayader Rocks

Hi all! Here's the group for us to have share ideas, arrange stuff, keep discussions going and...anything and everything else you want it to be!

We're supported by NTW TEAM!

Members: 40
Latest Activity: Oct 14, 2014

Discussion Forum

What makes a good story? 6 Replies

Are you sitting comfortably?...then I'll begin. What makes up a good story? Some say never spoil a good story with the truth. I love it when the exaggeration gremlins get into a story.My Great…Continue

Started by Alan Samuel. Last reply by Peter Cox MBE Jan 31, 2013.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rhayader Rocks to add comments!

Comment by Rebbecca Ray on January 29, 2013 at 5:03

The untold stories behind familiar objects...

There are some exciting ideas bubbling away here at CARAD on just this theme...

Comment by Andy Towell on January 29, 2013 at 3:54

The Shimli half time band and mothers backing band.

Comment by Alan Samuel on January 28, 2013 at 23:16

So stories about objects - which become more than 'stuff' or functional items' but a door to feelings and images.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison.

This also makes me think about the idea of creating sets/ pieces from all of the junk/ treasure found in farmyards, gardens and sheds. Low cost, recycle, teamwork, treasure hunting, rural life...stories.

Comment by Henry J.Alles on January 28, 2013 at 20:47

Books and Pottery. good ideas togehter i would say. There might even be a third party involved here. Because it starts to become (yes I am single minded towards everything) memories of Home (Hyreath association) What is the other thing that sits on a shelve containing stories. greetings Henry

Comment by Alan Samuel on January 28, 2013 at 12:14

Nice one Bud - well articulated unlike my effort yesterday :)

Thanks for the Facebook shouts too!

Date - Liz talked about the weekend before Easter but this will be with us before we know it! So I'm inclined to go for April too - we need to get this sorted tomorrow.

Fun and tasty is a great way forward - linking future capabilities we are sure to need to rely on - transition town (I like the event where you had to grab an ingredient).

So, we are sending people to collect stories which have been collected before hand - rather than giving them a theme or subject to find stories about? In addition to their passport (love the idea of that enabling people to access other areas - this will help CARAD's building , what about the opportunity for them to record stories in different ways - photos, sound, film, words - with these we can create a story of the day - stories with a story (of the day).

Here's a bit of fun...

Bud and I found a piece of Rhayader history sitting in a shop in Aber:

Robert 'Bonzo' Davies saw the Facebook post and recognised the vase as he used to work at the Dragon Pottery in Rhayader - he offered to lend me the Dragon Pottery book - which I snapped up.

I was interested to find out more about the Pottery - started by Mr and Mrs Cornish (Mrs Cornish still in Rhayader). Grandma told me a few more things about the pottery - mainly people who worked there and the designs.

Then I go thinking...Imagine telling the story of the Dragon Pottery through those that worked there and also the journeys of individual pieces - I wonder how far across the UK or world they have reached?

Comment by Buddug James Jones on January 28, 2013 at 7:37

Alan! AAAAH we really need to see that chicken farm! I don't know why, but there's something inside me telling me we should go. 

And let's find out about those bricks- if they are scrap then they will come in handy I'm sure at some point. Ah! Idea! Story bricks! I don't know anything more than that right now...

Firstly, we need to decide on a date! How about weekend after easter- 5-7 April? 

Here's some ideas that came from the meeting me, Alan, Kate and Liz had the other day (fueled by some lush croissants from Strand!) to extend on Alan's notes.

Location+stories+Easter holidays = Story treasure hunt! (inspired by my 2 favorite Dutch words- leuk and lekker- FUN and TASTY!)

We're pretty sure this weekend will be one big story (jewels!) hunt which end with a big party/feast/map building. How we do this though we're not too sure about so please express your ideas on this! Here's some ideas we're playing with at the moment...

• People arrive at Carad and receive a 'survival pack’ which could include a map, compass, small radio?, key??)
  • They must go on a quest around Rhayader to find stories and meet people (we must start asking people for their stories!)

-With every story they hear they will receive a clue/gift which will help them to get to the next person and location. 

-That gift/token is something for them to stamp off on the map, and when they have found all the stories, met all the people and gone to all locations they then go back to Carad where they will need to show their ‘tokens’(or could it be some sort of passport they get stamped???) to have food, enter areas of Carad where there will be loads of stuff happening. What will happen there though??

-Is there a way we can get Rhayader Radio involved with this? Can he give out clues or announcements maybe?

What do people think of this idea? 

Comment by Andy Towell on January 28, 2013 at 2:00

Good to be here, I really enjoyed my part in Shimli 2.0. Rhayader is a fantastic little town with lots to offer, plenty of creative people and lots of music.

Comment by Henry J.Alles on January 27, 2013 at 8:45

First of all I think somebody should take the effort to get the important ones from the facebook group on Rhayader, especially the ones from Wales, in this group, to join in and listen and add. And I need to know the dat for the weekend event to see if I can come over to join in (I need a drink). greetings Henry. By the way: this afternoon I seem to have made a good connection with the University in Groningen on these subjects we are talking about. But more important it also involves young people that share the enthusiasm. 

Comment by Alan Samuel on January 27, 2013 at 5:57

To explain the spider diagram:

_

_

_
What?: A weekend event.
When? Weekend before Easter TBC
Why (outcomes)?
  • Engage/ re-engage community with CARAD (as part of the Rhayader family).
  • Engage/ re-engage community with CARAD (demonstrate resources and capabilities - including the chance to feel good!).
  • Demonstrate the jewels of Rhayader: Stories from a strong, interconnected community.
  • Demonstrate the jewels of Rhayader: The resourcefulness of our combined efforts. 
  • To celebrate through gift of interpretation and re-telling of stories.
  • To provide solutions to real concerns.
  • To have fun and laugh, real laughs!

Some details of discussions:

A story treasure hunt will start from CARAD (experience: audience will see a CARAD that is different - physically, more inviting. They will be part of a mission (to collect stories) - the town advisory board being in a mission control room seeking stories to solve questions). Audiences will have a task to go into the community, have fun finding stories, from people and capture them in different formats (?). Audiences return to CARAD with their bounty where the stories will be pushed/ pinned onto mission control's map - and have a chance to interpret their stories perhaps (?). 

The stories gathered will be enhanced through CARAD's capabilities e.g. film and sound - using the film edit equipment and performance in the theatre space.

Taking it further... to solve a local problem demonstrating resource capabilities:

E.g. creating a physical link between CARAD's two buildings?

In our discussions we talked about local capabilities - this will be a big part of the event - e.g. building a kitchen or creating a local feature. There is a pile of red bricks near the Old Drill Hall - I wonder if on this hunt a person could take one brick each (if they're scrap) and then something is created by local crafts people and builders - if weather was not a problem - a communal BBQ area!
Hmmm...I got lost along the way there...Cue you lot to the rescue!
Comment by Alan Samuel on January 27, 2013 at 4:19
Stitching things together...
A continuum from RRRRRiot/ Shimili 2.0:
Thinking about the village advisory board (remember the thing Henry came up with for the council room)
Summary:

Town Advisory Board

Social mapping,

Clare Evans, Mayor,

Town Council,

Mister Rhayader,

1: European economy

“we have to learn new skills”

2: shimli/ assembly

“old skills are gone”

3: democrazy

local control

4:the village advisor

an exeption to the rule because of local wisdom: by firemen, carpenters, housewifes, etc

Henry's new idea would be that, Alan Samuel, need to be paid by the town of rhayader to do the work as a sort of head of actions and advisory
Another idea of course was the creating a exhibition with a hundred 'house under water' books in which many people would write an introduction.
Henry

Members (38)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service