Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Tim Price on June 23, 2011 at 1:12

Carmen,

That's great all the things you've got out of the Sherman. Playing devil's advocate, do you think, if they didn't tour, and didn't produce in Welsh, that there might be even more opportunities for people like yourself to work on more plays?

Katherine - yes I'm not sure of the costs, and I'm not sure of the audience figures for Welsh shows, and I don't think it's fair to go on anecdotal evidence.

I guess this isn't a question about whether the Sherman does any of these things well, I think they do great stuff considering how wide their brief is. I'm just asking the question are we asking too much of them, and are there other companies in the same territory, better funded.

Roger Williams made a really cogent argument recently for S4C to narrow it's scope but produce what it is does better.

Comment by Mick Greenway on June 22, 2011 at 23:32

OK. Here it is.

What’s In My Box?

7 scenes.
7 sealed boxes.
Only one can be opened.

A night of suspense in which playwrights compete for the attention of their audience.

Only one of the seven boxes will be opened to have its contents revealed.

The Brief

Write a short play or scene that involves a sealed box. Your aim is to build up the intrigue around the box to such an extent that the audience vote to see it opened at the end of the evening. All scenes must have a cut-off point just before the box is opened. If your box is chosen, the rest of your scene will be performed.

The first part of the scene must be no longer than 10 minutes. The reveal itself can be 3 minutes maximum. As with all DryWrite events, this is an experiment; a genuine interrogation of intrigue and suspense in theatre.  Join DryWrite at the bar after the show as we continue to debate the implications of the event.

Deadline

: 6:00 pm on Friday 1 July, 2011. Submissions must be sent via bushgreen.org with the words "What's In My Box Submission" at the beginning of the script title.

On the night: 

Each piece will be performed up to the cut off point before the "reveal". 
The audience will then vote to decide which box they want opened. 
The final part of the scene with the box that has attracted the most intrigue will be performed. 

Although all the writers are billed on the night, the pieces will be performed anonymously. The audience will not know who has written which piece until after the performances when, with your permission, we are at liberty to tell those who inquire.

Comment by Mick Greenway on June 22, 2011 at 23:23
There's nothing on either the bushgreen or the Bush website giving the brief for the "What's in my box" event. The Bush are going to email it to me and, if it's not too long, I'll post it here.
Comment by Tim Price on June 21, 2011 at 8:03

This seems to have garnered no interest whatsoever in the forum section. 

Perhaps in the privacy of this group there might be some more feedback. Even if you have no interest in the post, perhaps you might like to comment on why the NTW struggles to foster discussion?

Original forum post:

As the Sherman plans to move back into it's building next year I thought I'd put two questions out there about the future of the Sherman.

With the advent of NTW and Theatre Genedlaethol, two non building-based touring national theatres, it is necessary for the building-based Sherman to tour shows? Would their money be better spent, on more shows, in the new building? Or do the Sherman tours play a vital role in the new writing culture of Wales?

With Theatre Genedlaethol producing high quality, internationally engaging Welsh language work, does the Sherman need to continue producing in Welsh? Is there enough quality Welsh work being produced to warrant two producing houses?

Both of these things, if changed, would have huge constitutional and funding implications for the company.

But with the theatre landscape in Wales radically different from when the Sherman Cymru was formed is it time to think radically about the Sherman Cymru?

Comment by Robert Harper on June 21, 2011 at 7:39

Deadline

: 6:00 pm on Friday 1 July, 2011. Submissions must be sent via bushgreen.org with the words "What's In My Box Submission" at the beginning of the script title.

Comment by Mick Greenway on June 21, 2011 at 7:09

Hello Carmen,

Have you got any more details? I tried Googling but to no avail. Thanks.

Comment by Othniel Smith on June 16, 2011 at 6:52
New no-budget short dramas, shot, in Roath Park, Cardiff, on a ridiculously cheap camcorder: "Proverb" and "King Horse".
Comment by Kenon Man on June 6, 2011 at 3:10

After the success of Sherman Cymru's first RAW/AMRWD production, RAW/AMRWD returns to Chapter, Cardiff from 8 - 11 June presenting a double bill of gritty dramas by two emerging writers.

The Sanger by Foster Marks

Experience the humor, fears and effects of current operations, interwoven with verbatim interviews from soldiers who have served in the conflict

Foster Marks served as a radio operator in the Territorial Army and completed two tours of Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Tân Mewn Drain by Dyfed Edwards

A chilling, provocative play that explores the further reaches of war’s atrocity, proving that one man’s pain is another man’s gain. The winning play of the Drama Medal at the National Eisteddfod 2009.

For tickets and info - Sherman Cymru

Comment by meredydd barker on May 21, 2011 at 7:25

My work's weather dependent at the moment so if it's raining I'm writing. Otherwise I write in the evening and after the missus has gone to bed. If I'm working on a good idea then the television isn't a distraction, the idea is. Same applies to writing in cafes or pubs. Noise isn't a problem, but bad ideas are. I've found, so far, that the nature of what I'm working on dictates a schedule. I'm working on a play for CTC about Edward the first and have been for three years. It's coming to a head now, but I work on it as and when inspiration hits. Before Christmas last I wrote the first draft of a play about the credit crunch in five days using, funnily enough, something close to the Archer method; roughly two hours on two hours off. I'm about to tackle another piece using much the same method.

As I get older I work faster, no doubt about that. I certainly don't worry about days when I don't write. The back of my mind is working all the time anyway. That's how a play get's written in five days. It pours out because the subconscious has been allowed to get on with it.

I wrote for three hours this afternoon. Tomorrow? Hope to do the same, but I won't get angry if life gets in the way. The tantrums about being allowed quality time to write were very very self defeating. It'll get done no matter what because in the end I'm a writer.

It goes something like that.

Comment by Kenon Man on May 11, 2011 at 23:54

Mae Sherman Cymru yn gwahodd sgriptiau neu olygfeydd ddeg munud o hyd i’r llwyfan, gan awduron newydd a chyffrous, ar gyfer ein prosiect poblogaidd, SgriptSlam, yn Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Wrecsam eleni.

Y dyddiad cau ar gyfer sgriptiau yw Mehefin 10fed, 2011.

Yn ogystal, hoffai Sherman Cymru glywed gan actorion a chyfarwyddwyr a fyddai’n hoffi gweithio ar y prosiect: bydd y cwmni’n talu costau teithio a mynediad i’r Eisteddfod i rai yn cymryd rhan.

Am fanylion pellach am gyflwyno sgriptiau neu weithio ar y prosiect, cysylltwch â Siân Summers ar sian.summers@shermancymru.co.uk

Sherman Cymru are inviting submissions of ten minute plays or scenes for the stage in Welsh, by new and exciting writers, for our popular project, Sgript Slam at this year’s National Eisteddfod in Wrexham.

The closing date for submissions is June 10th, 2011

We would also like to hear from actors and directors who would like to work on the project with us and we will be able to cover travel costs and Eisteddfod admission for those involved.

For further details about script submissions or actors/directors, please contact Siân Summers at sian.summers@shermancymru.co.uk

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service