Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by meredydd barker on September 19, 2012 at 0:20

It's a provocative question.

The world owe us a living? To talk of the world is to be way too local. I think this must be some sort of cosmic joke. A better question, or at least a more serious one would be where does the luckiest Artistic Director in World Theatre get off making such an enquiry? How can he talk about anyone being owed anything when he runs an institution that's funded in a way that seems oblivious to the privations that are being suffered in the real world? Perhaps that's how the question should be rephrased. Why do you think the real world owes playwrights a living? Playwrights should answer that when NTW begins to live in it. Oh and John. If you haven't read it you should read this article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2012/aug/30/major-theat...

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

And I guess that's a provocative answer. But it bothers me that both John's question, and my response, lack any sense of goodwill; and that's a mistake. I was made aware of the above article on Facebook and on the resultant strand I offered the following thoughts based on Gardner's blog-

1) Do twice as much work for the same amount of money and stop micro-managing new work to sclerosis - and by that I mean new productions of old work as well. 2) Remember that you don't need the permission of financially toploaded institutions to have a meaningful, self enriching and, dare I say it, famous career in theatre. 3) Start a youth theatre, and 4) remember it's the audience, stupid. There's nothing wrong with working pro bono publico to begin with; build it with whatever and whoever's to hand, insist on the highest possible standards, and they will come. If they don't, well, you've no one to blame but yourself.

You did it.

Playwrights are artists. Others may argue that they're not. I won't because I just think it's a fact of life. Like breathing, I'm very comfortable with the idea. But too many playwrights are not when they should be because they'd find themselves in a far stronger position mentally if they realised that artists don't need permission from others to practice their art. If you've written a play and you think it's ready to be seen by the public then you should produce it.

Take an empty space and call it a bare stage. That isn't an abstract idea. Look at the spaces NTW have inhabited. Direct it yourself. I know directing might not be your thing but adapt or die isn't a mantra for now, it's a mantra for all time. If you don't know great actors who are at a loose end then you don't live in Wales or run a youth theatre. Create a funding structure where the box office is split fairly amongst the participants. Don't think that you need oodles of money to create an artificial hinterland for your company. Get your hands dirty. Take responsibility. Yes, theatre is collaboration. That doesn't mean you have to wait for a director's permission to practice it. Create your own expectations and standards. Be responsible for your development. You've done the tough bit: you've written the play.

While doing this you need to do at least two other things. 1)You need to continually promote the idea that the act of playwrighting, and playwrights themselves, should be at the heart of theatre culture in any country. You have to protect and promote that idea because nobody else is going to, certainly not in Wales right now. 2)Hope that by doing these things yourself you'll be noticed by a major company who will admire your talent, vigour and enterprise and seek to surround you and your play with all the resources at their disposal. If that happens you might find that, if only for a few months, they do actually owe you a living.

Comment by Andy Evans on September 18, 2012 at 23:16

I agree. I don't believe the world owes me a living as a playwright. I am attempting to carve a living out, through hard work and determination.

I try to write every day, whether it is for a specific project or not. Professional opportunities are limited and funding is scarce. Training is, by contrast, extremely expensive and I learn by my mistakes instead. The industry does have high expectations and I will never be consider the "hip new thing" therein, but I keep working in the hope that I have something to offer.

I am a playwright because it is what I do, not because it pays me especially well to do it.  I would relish the opportunity to earn my living doing the job I love, others manage it and I aspire to it. Should that be too much to ask?

Comment by Marc George on September 18, 2012 at 22:39
'why do you think the world owes playwrights a living?' - what a provocative question! Am sorry I was unable to attend especially with beauties like that being brought to the table!

Does any playwright think the world owes them a living? In short, No, I don't think anyone does but I do think that playwrights think they have the right to be heard & given a fair say & a fair opportunity to make a living which includes development & training to get them up to industry expectations & standards.

Unfortunately the world where playwrights exist is a closed & biased shop that has no confidence & little willingness to give playwrights a fair opportunity. There are always restrictions in this world; you have to be a certain age or living in a certain place or be from a certain background to have a small chance to succeed but even then the goal posts change on a whim.

Why? Mostly a limited scope of funding, politic, arrogance, conceit & lack of confidence in people & their stories & that's why we see very little originality or development in scope, skill or progressive format in today's writing.

I've posted on here before that it is my belief that there is a knowledge/skill gap between industry expectation & the writer. I still stand by that and offer a question of my own:

How open is this world to a playwright?
Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 18, 2012 at 21:56

couldn't make the weekend but for me I think I'd like to discuss opportunities for new writers - a new writer doesn't necessarily mean under 25, I teach a fantastic adult group and a 81 year old - he has stories to tell and be heard...it makes me think about how we can be inclusive of all...

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 18, 2012 at 21:45

what would the world be without our words....

Comment by Tim Price on September 18, 2012 at 11:31

At Devoted and Disgruntled this weekend, John Mcgrath asked the question 'why do you think the world owes playwrights a living?' 

Thoughts?

Does the world even pat it's pockets when it sees us?

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 15, 2012 at 23:40

would go Kelsey but its our first night for the writers session @ Bridgend

Comment by Jaye L Swift on September 15, 2012 at 23:34

Booked, see you there Kelsey

Comment by Kelsey Richards on September 15, 2012 at 23:01
Hi everyone,

We're holding an all inclusive, no such thing as a silly question, charity networking evening in the aid of Mind Charity on the 18th September.

The event will be held at the Tair Pluen, Cardiff, and tickets can be bought in advance for a small donation fee of £4. Alternatively, tickets can be bought on the door for the donation fee of £6. All proceeds go to the charity.

It's an informal event where people can chat and network with our fantastic guest speakers, which include Simon Wright, BBC Talent Executive, Nicola Piggin, BBC Post Production and Graphics Manager, Mog McIntyre, and indie company Overdrive, who will all be on hand to answer your questions.

We'll be tweeting throughout the event, so to follow us get involved with the telly talk hashtag; #tellytalkcdf.

For tickets, head to our just giving page,

http://www.justgiving.com/Telly-talk-Cardiff-2012 and join us on twitter

http://tellytalkcardiff.blogspot.co.uk/ 

For further information we've recently had an article written about us on the BBC Academy website;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/news/view/telly_talk_cardiff 

Thanks, and hope to see a few of you there! 
Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 15, 2012 at 22:56

How is Devoted and Disgruntled going?

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service