Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Greg Cullen on July 20, 2011 at 22:41

Unlikely I'll make the 26th as we will be rehearsing "Muscle" which previews at Chapter from the 28th to the 30th of July. This new version has been redited, added to and trimmed to a meagre 75mins for Shock n Awe Performance Company's Edinburgh Festival debut at Zoo Roxy (8pm slot).  We began this project with a small lottery grant and have worked away at it for nearly two years so today represents a great achievement, why? Because the ACW have just awarded us one of the biggest grants of the past few years, £28,000 to tour Wales in 2012. For writer/director (myself)and a choreographer (Phil Williams)  this represents a massive vindication of our belief that with the right support artists can do it for themselves.

We would like to thank the ACW, in particular Nick Davies our officer who has been brilliant. Also Chapter Arts Centre who remain one of the most open, accessible and revolutionary spaces available to theatre/performance makers. A special thank you to Sybil Crouch and her team at Taliesin who actually put their money on our table to help us in one of many hours of need.

Thanks also to all the actors who have developed the material with us, Angharad Matthews our designer, Kim Fielding for his imagery, Gareth Evans and Benjamin Talbott who created music for us.

Lastly to all the remarkable, though often quite ordinary men across Wales, who told us their stories and made us laugh, cry and think. What more could we ask for.

So all you writers out there, come and see the show and remember that we can make it happen for ourselves and not just hope others will pick up our ideas and run with them.  Its been hard, impoverished and frustrating but today...its fucking great!

Comment by Othniel Smith on July 17, 2011 at 21:28
Just to reiterate:

David Edgar and Amanda Whittington are currently putting together guidelines for playwrights and new writing theatre companies on behalf of the Writers' Guild in association with the Antelopes [a group of playwrights, led by David Eldridge and Duncan Macmillan, whose focus is the discussion of dramatists’ relationships with theatre companies]. They will be published later in the year.

Should any writer want to meet to talk about establishing a group of playwrights like the Antelopes you'd be more than welcome to come to the next Wales branch meeting of the Guild on Wednesday 20th of July (Cayo Arms, 36 Cathedral Road, Cardiff). A conversation about establishing such a group could take place at 8pm after the committee meeting.
Comment by Rebecca Gould on July 15, 2011 at 7:11
@Meredydd, I couldn't agree more than with David Lan's point about devising together a new generation of arguments for public money, and I think this is possibly as relevant in Wales as it is in England? Also, the idea that the arts can be central to education and business both at the point of delivery and also in a range of supporting roles, I think may be crucial to the future of Welsh Theatre. On a more selfish note, I heard today that I got my grant for the arts bid from ACE for a new play - a co-production with the Mercury in Colchester and Rage/ Pritvi in Mumbai - so obviously my current thinking is the arts council are an amazing and brave institution :-)

I don't think I can make the 26th, I will be really sad to miss it, I hope it's the start of something brilliant.
Comment by Richard Huw Morgan on July 14, 2011 at 2:49
Unfortunately 'How Tall Are You?" is on the one week that Pitch, Cardiff's weekly arts and culture programme on Radio Cardiff (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pitch/217695751597075?ref=ts#!/pages/Pitch/217695751597075?sk=info" is a pre-recorded programme due to John and I being unavailable. However, we would love to invite one or two participants from "How Tall Are You?" to come into the studio the following Tuesday (2nd August) to report back and add anything else they might like to say. If anyone is interested please get in touch as soon as possible to let us know.
Comment by meredydd barker on July 13, 2011 at 12:22
Comment by Matt Ball on July 12, 2011 at 22:15

This is  a great response, thanks Amy. 

I don't know if any of you saw this blog by Nick Gill, originally written for The Guardian (but not published by them). It seemed to reflect some of the feelings from earlier in the thread.

Comment by alun howell on July 12, 2011 at 21:54
Got it in my diary.
Comment by Ian Staples on July 12, 2011 at 21:37

See you there.

Comment by Amy Hodge on July 12, 2011 at 21:18

Hi Everyone,

Following the recently and incredibly useful on-line chat about The Sherman and its work with new writing and writers we're going to hold an open event, aptly named 'How Tall Are you?' to share info between us all and answer each others questions.

TUESDAY 26TH JULY 6 - 8PM AT CHAPTER (in media point)

I look forward to seeing you all there

Amy

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on July 12, 2011 at 9:53

The Finborough Theatre in Brompton, which kicks off its third Vibrant Festival of new writing today

Looks really interesting and Welsh links as well.

Be good to see something like this in Wales, is this possible?

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service