Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on October 27, 2010 at 7:42
Opportunity for writers from Channel 4:

CHANNEL 4 SCREENWRITING COURSE 2011 : FACTSHEET

DATES: 22nd and 23rd January 2011
11th and 12th June 2011

Writers must ensure before entering that they are available to attend both weekends, and to write two drafts of a one hour television drama between 24th January and 27th May 2011.

HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should submit by email a CV and one writing sample. This can be a screenplay, a stage play or radio play, minimum length 30 minutes (novels, treatments, short stories, unfinished screenplays and "shorts" are not acceptable).

The scripts should be original, not episodes of existing drama series.

Email scripts and CV’s to:- screenwriting@channel4.co.uk

ELIGIBILITY:
Only writers who do not have a broadcast credit as a television or film writer may apply (although produced short films – 20 minutes or less – are exempt).

CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday November 12th 2010.

FEE:
Writers will be paid a fee for participating in the course and for completing two drafts of a one hour script. Writers will grant Channel 4 an option on their script and will be told within six months of the end of the course if Channel 4 wishes to exercise this option.

COURSE CONTENT: GENERAL
The purpose of the course is to offer 12 writers new to television drama an insight into the industry and to provide a "dry-run" of what it can be like to write under a television drama commission, for one hour series and serial drama, and for script editors to work with them as they write an original drama script.

Writers will be expected to write an original, pilot one-hour drama series or serial episode, and 4-5 page outline \ pitch for the series \ serial as a whole. Each writer will be assigned a script editor, who is currently working in the industry, to guide them through this process. The writers will meet with their script editors between the course weekends to discuss how to approach each draft. Second draft scripts will be sent to the script editor and two other writers on the course, for workshop discussions at the second weekend.

FIRST WEEKEND
Writers, directors, producers and script editors in the industry will give talks to the participants on a variety of subjects relating to television drama. There will also be time set aside for writers to discuss their proposals and ideas for their one hour scripts with their assigned script editor.

SECOND WEEKEND
This will be split between a reading of the opening section of each script by actors on the first day, and discussion and analysis of each of the twelve finished scripts in small groups on the second day, finishing with a screening \ workshop and an overview of the course and of the specific requirements of series and serial television drama.

It is essential to the success of the second weekend that writers submit their scripts on time and make time to read the (2) other writers' scripts (i.e. there is a time commitment involved beyond the time put aside to write a one-hour drama for television).
Comment by Neil Bebber on October 4, 2010 at 4:46
Same as you, really. Wouldn't want to commit too much comment to a public forum. I liked the beginning. And the drive home.

N
Comment by Neil Bebber on October 4, 2010 at 2:07
Saw The Author on Saturday. Where do I start..?
Comment by Robert Harper on October 4, 2010 at 0:57
Hi Carmen,

Will it be possible to attend occasional sessions as and when my schedule allows?
Comment by DumbWise on September 9, 2010 at 1:12
Please come along and let us know your thoughts. It's hoped these readings will lead us to a final draft so all writers feedback would be much appreciated!

Comment by KJ Elsdon on August 12, 2010 at 0:35
Am FINALLY relocating to Wales at the end of September or beginning of October and am looking forward maybe to meeting some of you and getting involved with the project!

If anyone is looking for a writer with more than 20 years' experience of features writing, writing for websites (SEO a speciality), blogging, scriptwriting and many other aspects of the trade, please contact me here or via my e-mail address, kjelsdon@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing some of the productions very soon!

Hwyl!
Comment by National Theatre Wales on July 20, 2010 at 4:17
Here's some news of a great course at Ty Newydd, the National Writers Centre, led by two of Wales's finest theatre practitioners:
Drama - Gilly Adams and Charles Way.pdfDrama: Gilly Adams and Charles Way
Comment by Bethan Marlow on July 19, 2010 at 2:57
Fancy a new challenge. There a surprise prize!

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/challenge-...
Comment by Carl Morris on July 11, 2010 at 23:32
Hello writers! Just alerting you to the fact we have a new game-writing challenge on the group for The Beach set by Rhiann....

Have a look and see if it's your bag. While I'm on it, my challenge from last week Finger In Pi is still open for entries.

Do both if you want. Have fun.
Comment by Leona Jones on July 7, 2010 at 9:39
I was lucky enough to be there too, and felt galvanised into action by the end of the evening. But I appreciate the frustrations of those not able to reach Cardiff easily having been born and brought up in not-Cardiff Wales. It's not easy or cheap or quick to move around much of Wales, and there have been grumbles about how Cardiff dominates and/or doesn't relate to the rest of the country for many many years. However, we now have access to more communication methods than ever before. The evening was basically a conversational one, very relaxed, informative and friendly. No audio/visual presentations, games, going off into small groups and discussing etc. Would it be possible for events like this to be linked via webcam/skype so people who can't get to the venue could still participate in some way? I've no idea how it works, but a link-up was managed for the opening announcements way back when. I know it's not the same as face-to-face but might ease the frustration of feeling something's been missed, especially if there was some way of feeding in questions or comments.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service