Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Gary Owen on October 14, 2013 at 9:03

Fin's speech 'What Do Playwrights Need?'   Required reading, I think.  And I think the results of the Delphi survey are spot on.

http://finkennedy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/what-do-playwrights-need.html

Comment by Sarah Jane Leigh on October 10, 2013 at 10:26

Hello Writers Group!

Here is a blog with the schedule and more information about what's happening at Dirty, Gifted and Welsh: http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/dirty-gift...

If there is something missing from my blog that you want to know, send me message or comment on my blog and I'll endeavour to answer!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Sarah

Comment by Adam Somerset on October 9, 2013 at 23:49

Nice Reviews for "Ideal World" at Watford Palace

Times (8th October have to pay to read it): "smart dialogue whips along...very funny... Owen nicely skewers the many intricate ways that people fail to communicate.

Lyn Gardner today:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2013/oct/10/perfect-match-watford-...

Dominic Cavendish: rating pulled down by the other two plays in the trilogy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/10363449...

Comment by National Theatre Wales on October 9, 2013 at 5:02

Kenneth, just to let you and others know that the info is now a lot clearer on the Made in Treorchy page of the website.  Reading back on your message I think you were also concerned that the info about Mr Clevver had been unclear too.  In that case we were doing something different - but not really a 'social media' experiment - it was more a case of following the old traditions of a show turning up in town and the players themselves advertising it.  It worked very well - many shows were standing room only.  I'm not sure that the tweeting element had much effect, but good old fashioned posters in the shop worked a treat!!  By contrast, when we were in Edinburgh with the Radicalisation of Bradley Manning twitter was at least as important as flyering in getting the word out.  I think that every project needs a different approach, but it's good to have all the tricks up your sleeve!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on October 9, 2013 at 0:46

Hi Kenneth, sorry the detailed info on the Made in Treorchy page is a bit hard to find.  It's all there (you have to click on the map where the Park and Dare is) but I totally agree that this is too complicated.  I've asked the guys here to fix it asap.  In the meantime we'll also be posting regular updates here on the community pages about all of the upcoming activity, so keep an eye out!  See you on the 19th?

Comment by Tim Price on October 8, 2013 at 11:04

Hello all,

The award winning writer of Constellations, Wanderlust, and If There Is I haven't Found It Yet, Nick Payne will be taking part in a Q&A at the Park and Dare theatre Treorchy as part of Dirty, Gifted and Welsh. 

Nick is the youngest ever winner of the Evening Standard Award for best play. His play Constellations transferred to the West End, and If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, was produced on Broadway with Jake Gyllenhal.  The Telegraph described him as 'The Tom Stoppard of his generation'.  

Nick will be talking about his career, and answering questions about his approach to writing. I'd urge you all to come along and hear from one of the finest writers working in theatre at the moment.
Tickets can be booked here:
Where you can also book tickets for the evening's performance of NTW's Tonypandemonium written by Rachel Trezise, at 7.30pm.
Comment by Kenneth Griffin on October 3, 2013 at 23:53

It seems odd that the NTW What's On page for Made in Treorchy lists none of the events, but is just headed "October 2013" with a general invitation to:

"Get in touch or pop into the Park & Dare for a cup of tea and a Welsh cake! 

Made in Treorchy Hotline - 07541 521795"

and then gives a link to an e-mail address.

I suppose this is some modern clever-clever form of social media marketing, following on from launching a caravan on a hundreds-mile journey in the profound belief that deprived locals will hear it creak by and be lured to enter it by a carefully positioned poster or random tweet.

Dirty Gifted Welsh and Random?

NTW could save a lot of money by alluding to various appetising activities, without giving any details about where and when they are happening, then follow up with adulatory blogs reporting them, with no need to actually carry anything out.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on September 30, 2013 at 0:52

Hi All.  In just under 3 weeks it will be time for Dirty Gifted and Welsh, a celebration of new Welsh theatre writing by Dirty Protest and NTW.  Combining a selection of current Dirty Protest work with readings from writers currently under commission at NTW, panel discussions and hopefully plenty of moments to just chat, the event takes place on Saturday 19 October at the Park and Dare in Treorchy (the original publicity said 19 and 20 but we're going to focus on one jam-packed Saturday instead).  You can make a day of it and see Tonypandemonium by Rachel Trezise that night too.  We'll be posting more info about the programme over the coming weeks and I hope to see lots of you there on the 19th.  

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 16, 2013 at 0:41

Dear writers, busy writing, or blocked, or if you need a break? Have listen/ watch of Daft Punks new song/video and Dance - it'll put a smile on your face ...

The lyrics are quite apt too!

I know you don't get a chance to take a break this often
I know your life is speeding and it isn't stopping
Here, take my shirt and just go ahead and wipe up all the
Sweat, sweat, sweat

[Chorus]
Lose yourself to dance

not sure if the link will work?

http://youtu.be/Z_Sf0gi-mGI

http://youtu.be/Z_Sf0gi-mGI

Comment by Alan Harris on September 15, 2013 at 21:14

Wales Writers Football Team

A little while ago I was asked to join a Great Britain Writers Football Team (see below) but I’m wondering if there is any appetite and interest out there for a Wales Writers Football Team?

There’s an English and Scottish equivalent and teams throughout the world but it would be great if there was a Wales side to fly the flag.

As I say, I was asked to be part of a GB football team to play in a Euro tournament – that didn’t come off but because of it I had made email contact with a few of the Scottish writers. To cut a long story short they invited me to be a guest player for them in a match against England in London (they knew there was no Welsh team and had obviously heard my uncle is Scottish!) England won 5-0, being much the better side on a very wet Chelsea Pensioners’ pitch – an apt venue. I kept in touch with the Scottish lads and have been invited to play in their next tour match against Austria in Vienna.

Can we get enough players together to form a Welsh team?

This, of course, isn’t just about football; all games between writers' teams are usually accompanied by literary events, readings etc, and form part of a cultural exchange – what better way of meeting writers from a different country than kicking a ball around a park and then going to the pub for drinks and a literary event?

The games are played in a competitive but sporting manner. The only qualification is that you are a writer of some sort – the Scotland and England team being made up of novelists, playwrights, non-fiction writers and poets. Above all the football and the cultural event are what’s important (I played for Scotland, there was another Welshman – Joe Dunthorne – playing for England as well as two Scots who started playing for England a few years ago and have stuck with them even though Scotland have now formed their own team!).

There is, of course, a lot of organising – around the game and cultural event itself and also things like trying to get sponsorship for shirts etc. Players tend to pay their own expenses.

Here’s a bit of info about the English and Scottish teams:

http://writersteam.co.uk/

http://scotlandwritersfc.wordpress.com/

So, I just wondered if there are any other writers out there who fancy pulling on the Welsh shirt and giving it a go?

Also, are there any other forums people can think of that would reach Welsh writers?

You can get in touch with me here or via email:

arharris123@yahoo.co.uk

Very best, Alan

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service