Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on April 27, 2013 at 22:54

Isn't all theatre Political??? quote from Utah ' Thatcher killed this valley....with her big bouffant boot up our arses........' wouldn't it be nice for Cameron to take a look up the Valleys....

Next Sherman Writers Forum Saturday the 4th 10-12 - a few slots left if writers want to share their work please message me on here to book a slot.

We'll be discussing up and coming comps - Verity Bargate Award etc...

If you want to be a part or have a say in the changing face of Welsh Writing be there :)

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on April 25, 2013 at 20:15

Hi, We have a read through of new writers work at Bridgend College next Tuesday evening. If you're available and would like to read the new scripts you can contact me on here. It would be great to have your support and advice to help the writers with their pieces. Many Thanks, Carmen 

Comment by Fiona Roberts on April 24, 2013 at 7:17

This is more interesting and yes I get the point entirely re- Arab Spring etc... I'm now considering though the variations that exist in Wales in degrees of being politically engaged amongst young people. Unless there is discourse between regions we might all end up thinking that what applies at home applies else where. How do young people living in Narbeth, for example ,compare to those living in say an area like Plas Madoc or Queens Park, Wrexham.  What is available or not culturally? How is it or not engaging them? Solo performance as research perhaps?

Comment by meredydd barker on April 23, 2013 at 22:43

Hunter S said that the problem with Nixon was that he was a politics junkie and like all junkies he was a drag to be around. There's a cross party sense of there being more than one or two such animals around now; Milliband, Cameron, Johnson, Alexander, IDS et al, and there's very little sense of there being much difference between them. Ed Miliband and Boris Johnson went to the same primary school. Ed was born into a household that many would view as privileged son of  left-wing intellectual Marxist thinker and LSE lecturer Ralph Miliband; and we all know about the Bullingdon Club.

Yep; politicians. Austerity is a classic off the shelf piece of Conservative ideology. It's politics and not a solution custom made to deal with the problem. See here today - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/if-abenomics-wo...

where austeritiy is described as tribal morality. I think the philosophy behind goverment is pretty simple really: we own it, but every so often incumbents need reminding of this. They also need reminding that the government solution to a problem may be as bad as the problem. Solo performances can do this because you can form the idea in the morning and perform it that night. Interactive performances give voice directly to those in the audience who feel disenfranchised and who have something to say. All very valid and well within theatre's remit. Plays may not be nimble enough because they take so much time to be developed. But then a considered play should be written about IDS and how his politics can co-exist with his deeply held beliefs as a Christian. To which is he more addic-, sorry, committed?

The teens I deal with in Narberth Youth Theatre are anything but apolitical. For example I gave a note to the actors playing Theseus and Egeus - both seventeen - that it would provide an interesting dynamic if they thought of Theseus as the party leader and Egeus as the party backer. Well it worked. It was all unsaid but there was no doubt that Theseus thought Egeus venal and Egeus thought Theseus corrupt. They knew; and they've got X-boxes too.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 23, 2013 at 21:45

HI Fiona  - worth looking at the link - it's their argument rather than mine.  But I'd question your comment that young people are a-political - weren't the Arab Spring and Occupy fuelled by young people using social media to organise?  

Comment by Fiona Roberts on April 23, 2013 at 9:23

Haven't read the link...but thought that political theatre of the 80's was largely anti-capitalist..anyway funding was stuffed.. The majority of young people who need to be politically engaged spend a lot of their free time on Xbox live or  facebook. Just would like to know who is the audience who will watch the solo performances or be involved in the interactive anti-politician work?

Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 22, 2013 at 11:21

Thanks for that link Meredydd.  And an interesting, post Thatcher funeral, moment to be thinking about the political theatre of the 80s. What do you think of the premise of the article that the form of political theatre will be different now - less plays, more interactive and solo performances?  And is political theatre going to be ant-politicians rather than anti-government?  

Comment by meredydd barker on April 22, 2013 at 3:50
Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 18, 2013 at 0:21

Oh, I should have mentioned that NTW will be 'in residence' at the Park and Dare throughout October, so we will have free run of the building for 'Dirty, Gifted and Welsh'.  For those of you who don't know it, the Park and Dare is one of the largest Miners Institutes - a beautiful space with many interesting nooks and crannies!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 18, 2013 at 0:19

Hi All, as some of you will know, NTW will be collaborating with Dirty Protest to create an event in October celebrating new Welsh theatre writing.  The idea behind the event - 'Dirty, Gifted and Welsh' - is to shine as much of a light as possible on current English-language writing by Welsh writers, while also providing an opportunity of writers to gather and talk.  We've not finalised the date yet but it's looking like the weekend of 19-20 October might work. The event will take place at the Park and Dare in Treorchy, during the run of Rachel Trezise's new play 'Tonypandemonium'.  At the moment our ideas for the event include readings of new scripts that NTW has on commission (with an emphasis on emerging writers), a series of Dirty Protest 'Plays in a Bag', 'in conversations' between Welsh and non-Welsh writers.  Is there anything that any of you would like to see happen?  And do those dates work?  

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service