Assembly 2011/ 2012/ 2013

Information

Assembly 2011/ 2012/ 2013

NTW Assembly - Democratically Elected Performance Debate event!

National Theatre Wales innovative Assembly programme of bespoke, democratically-elected creative arts projects took place across Wales. Proposals from Cardiff, Carmarthen, Machynlleth & Glynllifon won an assembly - with issues ranging from Mental Health to a multi-national supermarket coming to town.  

We then had our first ever Super Assembly (Assembly on a bigger scale) in Bangor, which has had some local ramifications and has led to some interesting developments including a charity bike ride by a local councillor.

The next stage of developing the model is to test out it's international compatibility, in order to do this we will be delivering an Assembly in Japan alongside our co-production with New National Theatre Japan- 'Opportunity of Efficiency'. 

The new format of Assembly requires companies and individuals across Wales to submit proposals which are shortlisted and uploaded on to the Assembly website.

Projects are publicised and proposers are asked to canvas and campaign their idea to get as many votes as possible within a 2 week period.  Although mainly online, we have used text voting and petition signing - this has been bespoke to each community.  The project with the most votes is then delivered within a month with the support of a team of artists, a production team and a group of local participants.

National Theatre Wales’ Assembly programme runs alongside its main productions, and offers participants an opportunity to experience theatre as a space for exploration and discussion.

In the company’s first year, Assemblies were held in pubs, empty shops, disused banks, marquees, bus stations and ice-cream parlours, and led to the creation of a radio station in Barmouth, and a filmmakers’ club in Prestatyn.

Assemblies have led to the creation of film clubs (Prestatyn), community radio stations (Barmouth) and an international theatre production (De Gabay, Butetown). 

Members: 143
Latest Activity: Dec 2, 2014

Further info:

In NTW's second year, the Assembly programme became a series of bespoke, democratically-elected events which took place in four areas of Wales (north, south, west and mid). Proposals for Assembles were invited from all communities and groups who had a local issue they wanted to explore, with the winning proposals chosen through online voting by the general public. Examples of themes in recent Assemblies include the use of a local park, the proposed opening of a new supermarket, and cuts to local NHS mental health provision.  2012 finished with a bang as NTW were invited to Bangor to deliver the first ever national SuperAssembly. Applications were invited from companies, individuals, organisations, charities, campaigns, or anyone with an idea for a one-off Assembly they’d like to create, anywhere in Wales. Proposals had to be relevant to the applicants’ local community, but could have a national, or international, resonance.   

NTW's Assembly strand now embarks on another new journey as we take the Assembly on an international journey and test out the model in Japan, as part of our residency in Tokyo with the New National Theatre Japan.  Watch this space to find out how you can be involved.

Discussion Forum

NTW 'Assembly' - Japan 3 Replies

Keep your ears and eyes peeled to this discussion thread, which we will be using to draw together the conversations that take place before, during and after our first ever Assembly in Japan....... Continue

Tags: #ntwJapanassembly, #ntwassembly06, #democraticallyelectedcreativity, #communityprojects, #assembly

Started by abdul shayek. Last reply by abdul shayek Mar 28, 2013.

A round up before Japan

Here's a quick photo and video journey through the year:Recruiting and Training of first Assembly Team…Continue

Tags: #democraticallyelectedcreativity, #communityprojects, #assembly, #superassembly

Started by abdul shayek Mar 13, 2013.

SuperAssembly 6 Replies

Watch this space to see how the first SuperAssembly develops and how we work with BYGS and the other groups in Bangor to create an amazing performance debate event which will get everyone talking.Continue

Tags: #democraticallyelectedcreativity, #communityprojects, #assembly, #superassembly

Started by abdul shayek. Last reply by abdul shayek Mar 12, 2013.

Assembly Evaluation Video

Evaluation of the first four Assembly's this year.Assembly Evaluation.Continue

Started by abdul shayek Nov 4, 2012.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Assembly 2011/ 2012/ 2013 to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on December 2, 2014 at 23:20

Hi all. We are now looking for ideas for the #BigDemocracy from south Wales. Please get in contact if you'd like to meet up and discuss further http://nationaltheatrewales.org/big-democracy-project

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 22, 2014 at 1:39

The Big Democracy Project - Bangor

October 4thsaw the first event of the Big Democracy project taking place in Penrhyn Hall, Bangor. It had taken three months to get to this point, from inviting ideas to three ideas being voted on to producing the event.

The chosen proposal was put forward by Bethesda poet Martin Daws – The Poetry Party – which looked at voter apathy.

We put the show together in 4 days and it’s a huge testament to the artist’s skill to create such quality performances and that amount of time.

It was really great to work with Martin, Nikki, Rhys, Ali and Sophie and the rest of the crew and it seemed that everyone who attended responded to the performance and contributed to the conversation.

I think that the evening provided a great platform for honest, heartfelt conversation and it seems that there is an apatite for political discussion, in what was described as a ‘safe space’. It was also great to hear some brilliant poetry (a big thank you to Sophie for taking one for the team, she's quite left wing really :)  

Below are some of the things said on the night

Only the rich have democracy • Make things work for the people • A change in how people are voted into office • Do we need party politics • Less inequality • Build a new politic of the people • Convictional politicians • Spoilt Ballots don’t get counted • We have to accept democracy with all its faults • Have every really experienced true democracy? • Is what we have a democracy? •  It’s a broken system but it’s the only system we have • Voting isn’t worth the effort • Sometimes its based on the tradition of who your family voted for • I say no boarders no nations • Anarchism is responsibility • I don’t know anyone who votes • Im trying to pull my finger out and make a difference

Details of the next Big Democracy event will be released soon.